Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E Wheel Not Straight

When looking at my bike from the front, the wheel appears to be turned, even though the forks appear to be straight. To ride it straight, I have to have the handlebars turned quite a ways to the right. What do you guys think it might be? Could the fork be twisted somehow?

I just bought this bike yesterday so I'm feeling pretty dumb for not noticing it then. Otherwise it seems to be sweet. It runs strong and is a street legal "E" model...a nice combo that's tough to find! I'll post pics once I get this little deal fixed. :thumbsup:

PS I tried searching but it said it was busy.

First off..do the obvious... put the bike on a stand and loosen the clamp bolts on the upper and lower triple clamps. Go ahead and give the front tire a tap. It's possible that the forks are twisted from a fall or something and loosening the clamp bolts should relieve the torque.

Second..make sure both fork tubes are an equal height in the clamps. If the suspension cycles properly the tubes should not be bent. Bending a set of fork tubes usually results from a very serious impact of sorts.

Either the triple clamps are twisted or the handlebar is bent. Look at the fork tubes from a side view. If they are not exactly parallel, the triple clamps are twisted. The fix is to loosen the triple clamp bolts, and with the front tire between your legs turn the handlebar to untwist the triple clamps until the fork tubes are parallel.

Loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts as already advised and ensure your upper and lower clamps are in line with each other. I've found that standing over the bike,in the riding position, and sighting straight down the leading edge of the clamps is a good indicator of thier alignment. Once you have them aligned recheck your bar alignment. If their still off you likely have some bent bars.

The previous owner told me the bars are bent, and he gave me the stock ones (the current ones he bought off Ebay and they were bent then).

When I look at the bottom of the forks, where the wheel hub extends through the mounts on the fork, the mounts appear to be turned off to the left. I know that's tough to follow, but that's the best way I know of to explain it. Tonight or tomorrow morning I will loosen the clamps and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the help!!!! :thumbsup: I'll be sure to post my results.

Well I was able to play with it. They were definately turned in the mounts. I was able to get the tire real close to where it should be. Does anybody have any measuring tricks to get it precise? There is a RMX fender on it and that thing sits awfully skewed so I'm going to make the holes a little bigger and try to straighten it out.

Thanks for the quick help! :thumbsup:

If the fender is crooked, that will mess with your mind :ride: ...fix it and then throw away the stock bars, if they are not bent now they will be real soon, trash the bent bars that came with the bike. My advise :applause: , which comes from bending way too many cheap bars, drop the $$$ for a set of Renthals or Pro Tapers...FMF and a few other reputable companies also make good bars. I can tell you now that if you bend a set of Pro Tapers, you have bigger problems! :thumbsup:

I took it for a ride today and it's perfect!!!! I also straightened out the fender so everything is good to go. What should I torque the triple clamp bolts to? Thanks a lot for your help guys! :thumbsup:

I now have a "like new" 2003 DRZ 400E that is street legal. Time to go ride!!!! :ride: