Sign in to follow this  

Have valve cover off, installed mcct ages ago,cam chain seems tight as hell!

Does anyone know how to evaulate the cam chain tension w/the valve cover off? I'm checking my valves today and it seems like the cam chain is pretty tight, but it's tough to tell. Should I try putting some slack in it by running the crank the opposite direction a bit and seeing if there's any on the front side of the bike?

Any hints, ideas, best practices? I gotta get this thing back together!

The objective of a tensioner is to remove slack....A properly adjusted MCCT only puts the amount of tension that is needed vs constant tension. If your chain is too tight, that would mean that you adjusted the MCCT too tight from the get go...I would actually be worried if there was slack with the tensioner in place?

I can push down a little bit on the chain (1/4" or less) between the two cam gears, that's probably enough. Looks like there's a guide on the front side as well which makes it seem tighter, tough to get a good look down there. I really need a service manual.

Anyway, valves checked out at .005 for both intakes and a "loose" .008 for the exhausts. Pretty tight, but the .008 seems to go in pretty easy while the .009 won't. I'd call it a .0085.

I can push down a little bit on the chain (1/4" or less) between the two cam gears, that's probably enough. Looks like there's a guide on the front side as well which makes it seem tighter, tough to get a good look down there. I really need a service manual.

Anyway, valves checked out at .005 for both intakes and a "loose" .008 for the exhausts. Pretty tight, but the .008 seems to go in pretty easy while the .009 won't. I'd call it a .0085.

Adjust the valves if your going to, then start the motor, loosen the MCCT till you hear a rattle,tighten JUST till the rattle goes away. Tighten lock nut. Go ride