Sign in to follow this  

Oil change routine...........

I just did a full oil and filter change on my Husky and EXC back to back.

The contrast was significant and IMHO worth noting for anyone considering either of these bikes. Husky clearly designed their bikes for ease of maintenance, and I appreciate that a great deal. :thumbsup:

It took me about 20-25 minutes to complete the entire routine on the Husky. Dump oil, pull filter, clean screens, install new filter and screens and refill. The mess was minimal and everything was easy and simple.

With the KTM, it took me a good 40-45 minutes because the process is more complex. The main difference is with the design of the twin oil filters. To pull them you need to lean the bike over on a stand, which can be a PITA if you don't happen to have a bike stand handy. And then you need a turkey baster to remove the old oil from the filter compartments, which can be a PITA if you don't happen to have a turkey baster handy. No matter how careful I am, there is always a lot of spillage and mess. :ride: That is just part of the process with the KTM.

I'm sure that for many (most?) owners, the extra work involved to change the KTM oil and filters is no big deal. But it is for me because I don't have a lot of time to tinker in the garage.

Yeah, I have both bikes also! The Husky is much easier to work on & cheaper. I like to fiddle but I much rather do my fiddlin on something besides oil changes. The Husky is just plain easier to work on. [Valves,Forks,you name it!].

I have a turkey baster because I overfilled my forks with oil after a seal leak. don't have a KTM though. Funny you should ask about the baster though. that is the only use I can think of for a Husky. In conjunction with a big straw from starbucks it works well. Send me a KTM so I'll have more uses for my turkey baster.

If you are having trouble pulling the filters on the KTM use some snap ring pliers inside the ridge on the outside of the filter. That will pull them out.

I agree, changing the oil on the KTM is a little kludgy, but the air filter is easier. Other than that I would rather work on the Husky anyday.

If you are having trouble pulling the filters on the KTM use some snap ring pliers inside the ridge on the outside of the filter. That will pull them out.

I agree, changing the oil on the KTM is a little kludgy, but the air filter is easier. Other than that I would rather work on the Husky anyday.

Yep, Husky with the KTM airfilter deisgn would be low maintenance perfection.

I rode with a guy that owns a new KTM 250xcf-w last week and noticed that it only has one oil filter. Not the twin filter design of the EXCs.

R

Yep, Husky with the KTM airfilter deisgn would be low maintenance perfection.

I rode with a guy that owns a new KTM 250xcf-w last week and noticed that it only has one oil filter. Not the twin filter design of the EXCs.

R

I wonder if that will affect longeviity in any way? Probably not, but I would rather have a bit heavier bike that holds a bit more oil and an extra oil filter/screen or two that helps to increase reliability than have than have the absolutely lightest bike in the world that won't last.

Greg

Try and compare a husky to a KTM LC4! By the time you bleed and burp the frame tube, manage to slip the oil filter cover around the frame rails etc.. on the lc'y it looks like the Exxon Valdez spill in the shop oil everywhere... even after 6 years of "practice" :thumbsup: