Average Joe Shootout was awesome today.

We had a good turnout of TTer's there. Too many to remember, I would guess around 20 total and maybe 30 with buddies brought along. When we arrived the track was as good as it has been in a long time. Started drying towards the end of the day, but couldn't have asked for much more earlier.

Got to start the day riding CRfans CR125. Boy that brought back the memories. Total blast to ride, but I sure would not want it as my primary bike. I would be wore out in 2 hours, but they're still alot of fun to ride.

Swapped with Hogie on his 06 CRF450 next. Last time I rode his bike mine was totally stock. I now have a Yosh full Ti exhaust and changed my jetting. Hogie has a White Brothers Carbon Pro exhaust or Ti, can't remember now and a quickshot. I think he changed the gearing, but not sure on that either now. His suspension was redone by Borelli also. The last time I rode his bike, his suspension was much plusher than mine and his bike hit quicker than mine did on the bottom. I was curious to see if the exhaust and jetting made any difference on mine. It did, but still doesn't have the hit that Hogie's bike does. At Buffalo I really didn't notice anything with the 5 speed. The last time I rode it, I felt in between gears at times but this time it was perfect. Of all the bikes I rode today I liked his the best.

Next it was time to go back to a 250 two stroke. Swapped bikes with Matt who has a 2005 KX250. Boy did that thing feel light and fast. At first, I thought why did I give up my 05 RM250. But after 2 laps I remembered why when I was getting arm pump trying to stay up with the 450's. The 250 two stroke is still my favorite bike. It really is a shame the 450's were given so much of an advantage. If the bikes were equal, I would still be riding a 250 two stroke. Anyone looking to buy a 250 two stroke will love Matt's bike. Handles great, feels light, and has plenty of power. This would make an awesome woods bike or someone that doesn't race or care about having to beat 450's on the track during a race. If the two stroke didn't wear me out so much I wouldn't have switched, but man are they fun until they do wear you out.

I rode Sparkplug's 05 RMZ450 last week and didn't get a chance to switch this week. But his bike has better snap off the throttle than my KXF and will turn quicker. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's bad. If you were running alot of tight tracks or supercross type layouts it would be the bike to have. However, it also wore me out quicker than the CRF or KXF does.

In the current modified states the best bike in my opinion is the 06 CRF. However, Hogie probably has 3k more in that bike than mine and they were really a tossup as to which is better. So of course the winner was my 06 KX450F. ?:ride:

I wished we could have had one of the 06 YZF's out. Maybe another day.

Oh and I'll let others talk about the woods ride. All and all it was a fun day. Looking forward to the Walnut ride now.

For anyone that is thinking about a 450 to buy, it really is true when you hear pick a color. Everyone of these bikes were amazing and the differences were so small it was hard to sometimes even tell the difference. Each one outshines all the others in one way or another, so it really does come down to what your personal preference is. They are all that good.

For anyone that is thinking about a 450 to buy, it really is true when you hear pick a color. Everyone of these bikes were amazing and the differences were so small it was hard to sometimes even tell the difference. Each one outshines all the others in one way or another, so it really does come down to what your personal preference is. They are all that good.

?

Yea, I had a great time until Kevin got me in the WOODS :ride::applause::applause:

More to come, just got home. I have got time for a quuick rinse off, and I'm out the door to go back down to Joliet. RT 66 demo night ? .

I bet that I see poeple on QUADS tonight :applause::applause::applause::applause:

Yeah it really was a great day of riding ?

Got to ride Hogie's bike and then Ron's back to back. Hogie's felt really good in the air but I was having trouble getting used to his bars and brakes. Couldn't seem to find his rear brake pedal and the bars were really low compared to mine :applause: Suspension suited me pretty well seeing as me and Hogie are both pretty big guys. Overall, I really liked it. :applause:

Rode Ron's bike right after and was quite shocked when I went to sit down from standing for the first time. Come to find out Ron has his seat cut down. The whole time I was riding it I was hoping it wasn't the stock seat cuz I felt so weird on it! Felt like I was on a XR100 or something with my knees way up :applause: Definitely liked the power delivery and I felt more at home on it since I've been on Kawis for the past two years. I wish I would have paid more attention to the power delivery in regards to each gear because at one point I thought about shifting to 5th but then realized that wasn't an option. I guess if I didn't notice anything weird about the 4 speed gear box, it mustn't be too weird. Again, I really liked his bike too :ride:

I gotta say though, riding both of these bikes didn't help my opinion on 450's. They still felt boring to ride and too linear in the way the power was delivered. Although, I was behind my brother on Hogie's bike and figured he would be pulling away from me cuz I wasn't really pushing that hard but I stayed right with him. I guess all that power isn't so bad afterall :applause:

And just the opposite of what Ron said, I got tired pretty quick on the 450's. But that probably had more to do with riding a moto on my bike then jumping on the Honda and then jumping on the Kawi then it did with the actual bikes :applause:

The woods ride......well........let's just say my MX bretheren did not represent us too well :applause: Hogie was a blast to follow through the trails, he was like a wrecking ball bouncing off everything :applause: I followed Ron for a while and then was given a nice sand bath after he stopped on the top of a hill and I got too close. :applause: The hill climb was the equalizer and let's just say I REALLY wish I had a camera when I pulled up next to Kev and we looked down and saw all of you laying there! Too funny! :applause: And I apologize for the heckling :applause:

Overall it was a really great day........although D1PP1N owes me $5 still! :applause:

The woods ride......well........let's just say my MX bretheren did not represent us too well :applause:

I'll shoulder some of the load for that. I believe I was the slowest in the woods and had to lay her down once (on a uphill/loose sand for footing/around a tight turn). That resulted in a bent shifter and a tweaked left radiator (noticed it when I got home) :applause::applause::ride::applause: . I definitely do not belong in the woods. You woods guys get mad props :applause::applause: . Although I'm pissed about the damages, I enjoyed hooking up out there with you all today. Track was perfect upon arrival ? - Matt you should make that grooming call more often :applause: ! My brother and I got some good laps in and I even ran with Matt for about 1 straightaway (improving but have a long way to go). Lastly - Just wanted to say thx to you all who used my kydney belt for target practice. Gave more visual evidence to show the wife why I need a new one :applause: .

P.S. - I HAVE THE BEST 450 !!! :applause::applause:

That resulted in a bent shifter and a tweaked left radiator (noticed it when I got home)

I'm sorry that sucks, I was afraid of that when you guys were laying around that hill climb like fallen soldiers ?

Us woods guys had a great time in the trails! conditions were perfect.

Glad to meet some of you guys even though it was short............I kept missing you guys jumping, I hope you got pics?

JohnT3 took a ton of helmet cam after he edits it, hope he post's it.

HOGIE, we need you get you a set of bark busters. :applause:

And yes, it was Matt making fun of you guys not me. :applause:

At least I asked if you needed help. :ride:

135 was Eric's Brother's friend.

The woods climb was pretty funny. Hogie didn't know where we were going or what the climb was like so took off in 1st. About 3/4's of the way up he got up on the side and the rear end sideways. I had given him a gap going up and when I saw him get it sideways it was too late to stop or turn around. I decided to pin it and try and pass him before he fell. He save it right until I got behind him, when he took us both out!!!!! It was pretty funny, I was laughing before I hit the ground. Poor John had to come show us dumbass track riders how to maneuver our bikes down the hill.

Soon as we got to the bottom we knew we would be catching crap for it, but it was fun anyway.

I was able to clear the sand track step up for my first time. I have always been able to hit the top, but got all the way over. That was my big accomplishment for the day.

sparkplug, I was wondering if that was the guy (#135) you had mentioned before. I was never really around him on the track, but he looked pretty quick.

And you're right when you say you're getting better, I noticed Saturday how much better you've gotten since the first time I saw you ride ?

So........Who is ready to rock on a trail ride again.

I'll wear the tools.....you guys just make sure wear your camelbacks.

PS I dont know how you do those jumps?

I hate when my wheels leave the ground. ?

We were wondering why we had to ride the woods and you guys stayed away from the track. Next time, you guys have to jump the step up if we have to look like fish out of water in the woods. I tweaked my shoulder a little bit on that woods ride, I think. It's really sore today and that's the only thing I can think of that may have done it. Not that just plain ole being old has anything to do with it but I'm not usually this sore the day after a ride.

sparkplug, I was wondering if that was the guy (#135) you had mentioned before. I was never really around him on the track, but he looked pretty quick.

And you're right when you say you're getting better, I noticed Saturday how much better you've gotten since the first time I saw you ride ?

Thx man. Dan (brother's buddy) was hurting after riding with you fast/young guys Sat (he's a few years older than me). He said he ran a while with Dippin and said he gave it everyting he had to catch a guy on a KAW450 (think he's referring to "SIX" on jersey but not sure) but couldn't close the gap. He said he was running some laps with my brother and was approaching the turn right before the jump into gravity cavity. He said this guy cut the inside line on both of them and whipped it over the jump while looking back at them :applause: . Dan felt obligated to go after him but said although the gap between them did not grow, it didn't lessen either. I keep trying to talk him to get back into racing but he won't do it. Several years ago he had a CR500 and would race open class at BR. I was told during his last race, he pulled the holeshot but was clipped from behind going around the turn and he went down with a pack of 500's screaming his way :applause: . I was told he got run over 1X and clipped a few more :ride: . I guess it was pretty hairy because he doesn't like talking about it.

Wow! I see I missed a lot of conversation here already, hehe!

Saturday was an absolute blast and I really appreciate Ron and Hogie letting me get time on their 450's. ? Aside from the ergonomics issue with Ron's KXF (he is 2 steps away from being a midget, haha :applause: ) I really liked the CRF and the KXF A LOT. I did notice the CRF had a bit more roll on power. I think I favor the 5 speed trans a bit more but it was a non issue really. Eric, sorry I didn't get a chance to ride your RMZ but I was whooped at that point and didn't want to make a costly mistake....between my 125 and the other bikes I rode pretty hard and I am pretty damn sore today (it was 3 weeks bewteen my last ride :applause: )

I did get a kick out of Dippin trying to clear the step up on my CR.....he got close and I give him props for trying. He did get farther than I do on that jump, hehe.

My friend Randy (from Service Honda) enjoyed meeting you guys.....can you believe he is 57 :applause: He can still hold his own pretty damn well!

all in all GREAT day and let's do it agin this fall!! :ride:

:applause:

The guy with SIX on the back of his jersey is John Six from Ottawa. He's been doing a lot of the big amateur events across the country and actually got 10th overall down at Loretta's in the 4-stroke class. Ryan Rogerson was pounding laps down on the sand track all day and he's a local A rider too.

I missed the trail ride unfortunately, i actaully like riding trails inbetween moto's is anyone will go with. Man i had that 125 4th pegged I was a few feet short but it just didnt have the power to make it.

135 was pretty fast man. I wish i had my 450 would have been a good moto. That damn 2stroke was kililng me. I would let him catch up closer then try to stay together with him, he kept getting by tho lol. Although one time I was trying to quad that gravity cavity and he was chasing me i tried to stay with but after casing it 4 laps in a row i was demolished. Not that it really would have mattered much anyway, he *****in railing that back sweeper he prolly made a few seconds on me just there. Today my hands still hurt, my forearms where tingling after that moto. I rode that 250 all day then hoped on Ronnoc's kx450f then realized what i had missed out on all day. His bike was set up better then mine.

hOw do u get your brakes so responsive connor?

I did come to a wierd conclusion tho, Matt and I were talking and he said we are like the same exact speed on the track, i noticed the same, i was like shit hes behind me lets try to open up the gap, but lap after lap on the back straight after the step off, he was in the same exact spot everylap lol. It was pretty similiar when i had my 250f also, so I have come to the conclusion that I doesnt matter what bike i ride or displacement (excluding maybe a 80-125 lol) I will ride it at the same exact pace/speed/time as i do with another. Sucks but atleast its consistent lol.

It really was a blast though for sure.

Sorry that I'm a little late with my review. First off, let my say that I am sorry to the woods guys for riding like a fish on that hillclimb. :applause::applause: What a wuss. Anyway, back to the bike swaps. I must say that the clay track was in pretty damn good shape.

The first trade off that I did was with Ron. This was the second time that I have ridden his KXF450. I do think that there has been an improvment on the bottom end since he just put on a full Yosh Ti system. I really think that this is a great bike for ageless vets like myself. You need to click it, twist it, and your gone. I do, however, seem to keep dragging the rear brake pedal on he ride.

Next came CRF fans 125. Boy, I felt like I was in the circus. OR better yet, Tommy Boy. You know the drill, "Fat guy in a little coat". No, really, it was a lot of fun to throw that 2 smoker around. I almost flet like Matt for a lillte while. Did you guys catch me laying that thing out??? :ride:

Sparkplug(Eric) and I switched next. That was the first RMZ that I had a chance to ride. I actually was a little dissapointed. I had always heard how good the Zuks cornered, but I had trouble getting it to rotate in the corners. It also felt a bit unbalanced(light in the front end). However, boy di that thing PULL :applause: . Amazing bottom end power, where my CRF has nice roll on, this thing just grunts. Nice.

All in all, it was a good time. I was pissed off that three of my so called freinds blew us off. They don't have a clue how much fun they missed. ?