Sign in to follow this  

Vintage Trail Riding

About 18 months ago. A couple of guys out of Lincoln tried to start up a vintage dirt bike club. I guess they had a meeting in January 2005 talked about a ride and the thing just died. Is there just no interest or just not enough of us old goats still out there riding?

The problem is getting beyond the talking stage. People tend to be gung ho with the idea, they just want someone else to do the work. There are plenty of "Old Bucks"

(you can be a goat if you want, I prefer to be a Buck) that still ride and enjoy the fun of making old bikes run. The problem is getting them to step up and volunteer to make an old bike event happen. Don't give up, you're bound to find a few that will help get things started. One thing that could get things moving is to invite your women to be involved. If you get a couple of the ladies interested in doing the sign up , scoring and flagging, things will happen! Just look who's doing it in AHRMA. Good Luck

Is there just no interest or just not enough of us old goats still out there riding?

Most of us old goats, prefer to ride modern bikes. I remember how bad the bikes were 30 years ago and I'm sure age has not improved them. On the other had, I have become much better with age :thumbsup:

There are some, who still only play with 4 inches....................of travel.

Taco, you listenen?

Most of us old goats, prefer to ride modern bikes. I remember how bad the bikes were 30 years ago and I'm sure age has not improved them. On the other had, I have become much better with age :thumbsup:

Taco, you listenen?

I'm listening.

There are 450 of us in the Midwest that prefer the older bikes. My '03 GasGas sits a lot. :ride:

Log onto www.ahrma.org and post your thoughts on the AHRMA message board. Might get you something or someone out NE way.

Taco, you listenen?

Second that, I'm faster now than I was 28 years ago when I was 16 and racing local A class. Sure the bike is better, but who wants to admit that?

OK I'm getting the drift here. The old goats and or bucks are still out there riding their dirt bikes. It just appears the great state of Nebraska is a vintage dirt bike wasteland.

I really like the new stuff but riding my Penton is a blast.

but riding my Penton is a blast.

Only if it's a '73 175 Jackpiner. Love that blue tank and chrome fenders.

Speaking of the 450 old bucks, I seen some excellent vintage racing this past weekend out at Sunset. The wife and two year old were duly impressed also. The 250 Sportsman(?) class race seemed like a barn burner... The Midwest Ahrma thing seemed very well run. Me and my family just about died laughing though, when the lady announcing the trophies kept sarcastically telling people when to check, pick them up...etc. She was a riot....

My dad has a vintage bike that we're trying to get back in commision (last bike in my signiture) If anyone has info on that bike, please PM me.

Speaking of the 450 old bucks, I seen some excellent vintage racing this past weekend out at Sunset. The wife and two year old were duly impressed also. The 250 Sportsman(?) class race seemed like a barn burner... The Midwest Ahrma thing seemed very well run. Me and my family just about died laughing though, when the lady announcing the trophies kept sarcastically telling people when to check, pick them up...etc. She was a riot....

What day were you there? You should have came up and introduced yourself.

My dad has a vintage bike that we're trying to get back in commision (last bike in my signiture) If anyone has info on that bike, please PM me.

Contact Matt at Speed & Sport in Norcal.

I was there Saturday, parked by the south fence (near the house), from about 11 to 3 or so. Tan F250 with some lawn chairs set-up in back. I wanted to meet you, but I had no clue where to go or ask. (Yeah, I know, I should have asked over at the tower...lol.) The wife and I loved the whole atmosphere... the smells of the pits, people laughing and just enjoying their bikes. My two year old son was entranced by all the go-go's..... he's hopelessly addicted. :thumbsup: We did get to walk around the pits (as much as our two year old would let us) and seen some very interesting bikes. It was just about killing me to not be able to bring the Husky and race.

I was there Saturday, parked by the south fence (near the house), from about 11 to 3 or so. Tan F250 with some lawn chairs set-up in back. I wanted to meet you, but I had no clue where to go or ask. (Yeah, I know, I should have asked over at the tower...lol.) The wife and I loved the whole atmosphere... the smells of the pits, people laughing and just enjoying their bikes. My two year old son was entranced by all the go-go's..... he's hopelessly addicted. :thumbsup: We did get to walk around the pits (as much as our two year old would let us) and seen some very interesting bikes. It was just about killing me to not be able to bring the Husky and race.

I was the doofus in charge of the MX both days. The H/S was a 'national' event so I was off-duty for that. The lady you referenced on the PA announcing about the trophies was Patti. She and her husband are National volunteers (they were in charge of the H/S) and travel the country helping out with the Nationals.

Over the years, she's been to more races than all of us here combined. She's a great lady but her 'tact' is interesting as evidenced by her goofy announcements. :ride:

Crabtree,

I forgot more about DT1's than Yamaha ever knew! I modified them and flat tracked them, ice raced them, rode enduros and cross country on one and vintage MXed one. They are bulletproof and VERY reliable. They were (still are) the WORST handling motorcycle EVER produced if stock. You could beat everyone down the straight, but when it came to the turn, it would buck like a Brahma bull! PM me with your email address and questions, I'll give you answers, including how to get them to handle better!

I'm going to start restoring my dads 1971 Yamaha DT1 250 enduro this winter. Anyone own one?

Unless it's in really nice condition to start,,,, if your going to do it right,,,

throw $2000 cash into a fire and watch it burn.

That will get you started. :ride::thumbsup:

Crabtree,

I forgot more about DT1's than Yamaha ever knew! I modified them and flat tracked them, ice raced them, rode enduros and cross country on one and vintage MXed one. They are bulletproof and VERY reliable. They were (still are) the WORST handling motorcycle EVER produced if stock. You could beat everyone down the straight, but when it came to the turn, it would buck like a Brahma bull! PM me with your email address and questions, I'll give you answers, including how to get them to handle better!

I'll take you up on that when I tear into it. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Unless it's in really nice condition to start,,,, if your going to do it right,,,

throw $2000 cash into a fire and watch it burn.

That will get you started. :applause::ride:

It's in good shape and runs. :thumbsup:

Why would throwing $2000 in a fire be a good start at restoring a very historically pertinant motorcycle? The DT-1's place in the history of off road sport is well documented, widely recognized, and unquestionable. Just because you don't care to involve yourself with the preservation of the history of the sport, and the joy of restoring and riding old bikes, you shouldn't discourage or cast aspersions on those who do. "To each his own!"

Why would throwing $2000 in a fire be a good start at restoring a very historically pertinant motorcycle? The DT-1's place in the history of off road sport is well documented, widely recognized, and unquestionable. Just because you don't care to involve yourself with the preservation of the history of the sport, and the joy of restoring and riding old bikes, you shouldn't discourage or cast aspersions on those who do. "To each his own!"

I thought that would be a 1969 DT-1?