Sign in to follow this  

14t Sprocket with Clip

I've read every thread with the word "sprocket" in it, and found that everyone was bolting on their 14T sprockets. The one Keintech sent me has a special retainer clip but also has 3 holes in it. There are no instructions. Can someone tell me if I need any shims? Do I use the retainer and toss the bolts? or do I toss the new retainer and use the stock retainer and bolt it on ?

Why not shoot an email to Jesse?

Anyway, either way will work, the clip is much easier but the clip needs to go on with the sharper edge facing out I believe

If you use the bolts you'll have to modify the plate

I'll answer for him. There is a tremendous amount of space on the shaft (maybe 1/4") that is unused when the clip is installed in lieu of the stock retainer plate. This is room for gravel to get lodged, mud to pack, etc. With no pressure against the CS seal, dirt will damage the seal quickly. If you own a KTM dirtbike, you know what I'm talking about. I ended up tossing the clip that came with the sprocket. I used the stock retainer plate (with outer flange grinded down 1/8") and bolted the retainer to the sprocket just like it was from the factory, minus the rubber o-ring that goes behind the retainer. I used teflon tape on the bolt threads so I could easily change sprocket on the trail (blue Loktite take too much time to set up).

BTW, wonderful difference off road that 14T makes!!! :ride: Top speed suffers on the highway but I'll adjust. Fuel mileage went from 53 mpg to 48 mpg but part of that is due to the "right wrist factor". It pulls so much better, you may find yourself gassin' it harder, just for fun. :thumbsup:

I would not say wonderful difference, it's still way too high geared for serious technical shit

I'm still using the clip on mine, Jesse seems to think it's ok and he knows a hell of a lot more about the DR than anyone I know, so we'll see :thumbsup:

That's true but I don't expect the DR to take the place of my KTM 300EXC either.

Just remember that all it takes is one little piece of gravel caught behind your sprocket and your seal is toast. Once your seal is gone, your oil will follow. It's not worth the risk for me.