Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400S yr 2000 Fork Question

My fork leaks out of the bottom. I took it apart today and there is a copper metal washer that seems to be the problem. Is there an alternative rubber washer that works better or do I need to stick with the copper one?

Also getting a clicking noise out of the fork or steering head. Is this common and what is the fix?

Many Thanks.

Sounds like you need a new copper seal washer. I'm not sure how thick your washer is, but if it is somewhat beefy you could do a little resurfacing on it with some emry paper and reinstall it and see if that stops the leak.

If your clicking is coming from your steering head, you should disassemble it, inspect your bearings and races and either replace them or repack your existing ones if they are ok and reassemble. They may just be dry and in need of grease.

Sounds like you need a new copper seal washer. I'm not sure how thick your washer is, but if it is somewhat beefy you could do a little resurfacing on it with some emry paper and reinstall it and see if that stops the leak.

The washer is fairly thin, not that you should ever re-face a copper washer.

All you need is to anneal it, just heat it up, and let it cool naturally.

There are also a couple of "O" rings down there as well, as well as one in the "compression damping" adjuster unit.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

anyplace besides suzuki to get some kind of spanner wrench or socket that I can use to check how tight the steering head is ?

I took the bottom damping part out where the copper washer is but did not see any rubber orings.

I took the bottom damping part out where the copper washer is but did not see any rubber orings.

All hidden inside, you need a manual to see them.

You also need a special tool to strip the forks, unless you use an air gun to undo the bottom nut.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause: