Sign in to follow this  

carb for xr100?

Who has a carb that will fit a 88 xr100 and how much? I need one bad for a kid that lives near me. His brother gave him the bike and it won't idle and is hard to start when cold. The bike sat up for almost 10 years. It has 160psi compression. The idle will go up and down. Any adjustment of the idle no matter how minor will cause a drastic change. I have tried the mixture screw from 1/2 turn out to 4 turns out and it doesn't make much difference. I have been through this carb about 5 times trying to get enough fuel to it at idle but can't. It has a brand new 38 pilot but it's not enough. That's what came in it so it should work. All passages are clear and the float level is set properly. The only catch is it looks like someone took a grinder to the slide on this thing. My guess is it was sticking so this was their cheap fix. I am think it is pulling too much air around the tube where they ground it down. I should be able to find a complete carb for the price of a new slide right?

I just put a carb off a xr80 that was a parts bike on it. Seems to run really good down low but of course it is a little off in the high rpms. The kids not racing or anything so I guess he will be okay w/ it. If it doesn't pan out I may have to get that carb. The worst part is I sold a 22mm Mikuni 3 days ago that would have fit this perfectly.

That XR80 carb is going to be too lean for a XR100. After time, it may cause piston damage. Try jumping up a size or two on the main jet for now.

It's actually running rich right now w/ the 80 carb. I think I am going to have to replace the points. When they first brought the bike to me it wouldn't fire. I cleaned the points and got if sparking again. A couple of days ago it quit sparking again and I got it going again. I am thinking my spark isn't strong enough to burn off all the fuel so it shows I am running rich. I also put on a Uni-Filter w/ the new carb.

It's actually running rich right now w/ the 80 carb. I think I am going to have to replace the points. When they first brought the bike to me it wouldn't fire. I cleaned the points and got if sparking again. A couple of days ago it quit sparking again and I got it going again. I am thinking my spark isn't strong enough to burn off all the fuel so it shows I am running rich. I also put on a Uni-Filter w/ the new carb.

This is the exact reason I'm so anti-points. One day they work and a week later they don't or they work in the garage then at the track they crap out. They are just a headache. Save years off your life and swap to a CDI.

Points = :applause::applause::thumbsup::ride:

CDI = :applause:

I ain't a big fan of points either. The kid doesn't have any money and his brother doesn't want to spend anymore on it. If it keeps messing up I will just tell them to junk it or I will take it off their hands. I will convert it or use some parts off the 2 xr80s I have to fix the problem.