Sign in to follow this  

Trailtech Vapor Custom Installation

My buddy just finished installing a Trailtech Vapor on his KLX400R, so I thought I'd share a photo, since it's such a nice clean job.

He fabricated the mounting plate from 1/8 aluminium, sand-blasted the plate to give it a nice textured look, and installed a couple of extra LED warning lights.

:thumbsup:

mountingplate01.jpg

mountingplate02.jpg

Nice install. :thumbsup: I see he mounted a couple of LED's for the nuetral light and highbeam, very nice. I can't wait to get my Viper on monday and get it installed. :ride:

Looks great, you don't happen to have a pic of it without the crossbar pad on do you?

leds are for high beem and the other is for turn signal (never wired up turn sigs because not needed in Newfoundland, use hand signals when on pavement.

And to thriller,I will see if I can post a pic with crossbar pad removed. Note, that vepor unit now has 4700kms on it and has worked great!!

Lorenzo:thumbsup:

anyone having any trouble with the tach? I did the 10 wrap wire around the plug wire, set it to '1' per the instructions. But it runs high. idling it says 1600rpm, when it should be half that. If i change it to 2, it isn't right either.. maybe i have a faulty unit? I didn't put in anything in the other tach settings..

scotty

Scotty,

Your idle is right on spec, the Vapor is correct.

Are you looking a the factory tech manual to get your idle range? If you are, you made the same mistake I did, they have one of the "1" offset a bit making it look like the idle should be 500 +- 100 RPM.

In the manual it looks like this; 1 500 +- 100 RPM, they should have put a comma after the 1.:worthy:

Ron W.

Hey rydnseek, yes as rjsurfer says, your vepor is reading correct. But if you own a drze model (same as my klxr) the idle spec is 1700 to 1900 rpm. Mine is set at 1800 aprox. rpm and really reduced the tendency to stall out in stop and go type traffic. Lorenzo

Just for those owners that have a s or sm with stock digital speedo you can keep your stock turn,high beam,engine temp and neutral light indicator even after upgrading to a Vapor or other speedo upgrade. It has its own wire harness and can be unscrewed from the factory speedo and mounted to your preference.:worthy:

leds are for high beem and the other is for turn signal (never wired up turn sigs because not needed in Newfoundland, use hand signals when on pavement.

And to thriller,I will see if I can post a pic with crossbar pad removed. Note, that vepor unit now has 4700kms on it and has worked great!!

Lorenzo:thumbsup:

I have mounted my unit now but would still like to see that pic. :thumbsup:

Has anyone installed one on the "S" model? I think I would like to get one but I want to know just how hard they are to install. Do the directions cover the installation in a very clear fashion?

I am just about done with mine. I started tonight and I didn't have any ring terminals to connect my grounds and power supplys so I decided to call it quits. You will need a 1/8" drill bit along with other metric wrenches to do the installation. The directions aren't REAL clear for things such as the temperature sensor. I installed mine in the top hose connecting the two radiators. It is a snug fit but I got mine to fit like a glove. Also the directions just tell you to connect it to a power supply. It doesn't specify a ignition supply or a constant power supply. The other thing that isn't real clear is the magnet for the speed sensor. I am just going to use the supplied magnet and epoxy it to the rotor. If that doesn't hold, I will use one of the supplied magnetic bolts and drill and tap the rotor. I hope some of this helps you a bit. Cheers