Sign in to follow this  

I just bought a ...

Toyota Tundra. :thumbsup::ride::applause: Its a 2002 model, 4x4 access cab, V8, SR5, TRD package. I traded in my old F-150 for it.

Toyota guys.....is there anything I need to know about this truck?

I have a 2004 and have had no problems. It is an awesome truck. You will really like it. Congratulations on your purchase. :thumbsup:

There are no real areas of concern on the Tundra. (I might drive a Ford right now, but Im a Toyota guy)

Its a Toyota. Change the oil every 5,000 miles, change the air filter once a year and it will easily last you 300,000+ miles.

Yea, put gas in it, and drive! Not much goes wrong with an 02 tundra. Congrats, excellent choice.

Add a rear anti sway bar from helwig. It'll improve the cornering greatly. It's a cheap and easy mod. You may also want to check out tundrasolutions.com

Bill

i had an 02 tundra...the thing fell apart,(literally) i was sad cuz its a toyota and those things are supposed to be bullet proof... tranny went out at 24k all easy freeway miles to school and back, there was some other minor recalls and a recall for some steering part that broke on me too which i had to pay with my own money (the recall cam a couple years after i sold it) so hopefully i will get refunded...mine was 2wd so u might not have the same recalls since its 4wd

other than the minor recalls the tranny is what upset me the most, those things shouldnt go out with normal driving at 24k

Id bet you beat on that truck, Toyota trannys dont just fail for no reason. Of course, no one is going to come out and admit that it might have been their fault. Its always that the vehicle was a POS.

Add a rear anti sway bar from helwig. It'll improve the cornering greatly. It's a cheap and easy mod. You may also want to check out tundrasolutions.com

Bill

I don't know about the whole sway bar thing but, if you check out www.tundrasoluions.com you will find out "everything" you ever wanted to know about the truck.

It's been a very useful sight for me. I just bought a 06 Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 Limited.

i had an 02 tundra...the thing fell apart,(literally) i was sad cuz its a toyota and those things are supposed to be bullet proof... tranny went out at 24k all easy freeway miles to school and back, there was some other minor recalls and a recall for some steering part that broke on me too which i had to pay with my own money (the recall cam a couple years after i sold it) so hopefully i will get refunded...mine was 2wd so u might not have the same recalls since its 4wd

other than the minor recalls the tranny is what upset me the most, those things shouldnt go out with normal driving at 24k

I've worked at a toyota dealer since 1989, the largest in stlouis, and have NEVER replaced a tranny in a tundra or any other V8 toyota for that matter. What suspension part? The ball joints? If you broke one of these you must have freckin jumped the thing. :thumbsup: And what other recalls? The relay rod recall ( a joke) isn't even on tundras.

Well i dunno why it went out, i never beat on the truck at all, just easy city driving, and i dont even speed and theres no "jumps" on the freeway...

anyways it should handle beaing beat on a lil, my friends have built tundras that the ytake to the desert and have stock trannys that still work great

my tranny went out at 24k, on the way to class in the morning the tranny shifted funny a few times, but than later while i was sitting at a red light it just pretty much died, towed it to our friends tranny shop and they checked it out, they said it just musta been a bad one and didnt really know why it craped out..Towed it back to Toyota of Orange and had to battle them to replace it because the tranny shop didnt use some toyota brand sealant to seal the bottom of the tranny which is B.S...

The one recall im not even sure what part it was, but i just got the letter a month or 2 ago, it was something in the steering, while i was getting new rims/tires at a friends offroad shop, they noticed it was all cracked and replaced it for me while it was there since it was there and and they didnt want to be reliable since they just worked on it

im not bashing toyotas at all, just stating what problems i have...but i guess im being acused of lying since i "jump" my stock truck on the freeway..you know those doubles in the carpool lane get big sometimes! :thumbsup::ride:...o well im not gunna argue, everyone else knows seems to know how i drive my truck even though they are like 5k miles away

Toyotas are under powered turds. Replacing head gaskets, transmissions etc.

:thumbsup:

I've worked at a toyota dealer since 1989, the largest in stlouis, and have NEVER replaced a tranny in a tundra or any other V8 toyota for that matter. What suspension part? The ball joints? If you broke one of these you must have freckin jumped the thing. :thumbsup: And what other recalls? The relay rod recall ( a joke) isn't even on tundras.

There was a ball joint recall on some 02 model Tundras, both 2 or 4 wheel drive and we have done probably a half dozen V8 automatics. And we are the highest volume dealer in a 5 state region. So this isnt very many.

Toyotas are under powered turds. Replacing head gaskets, transmissions etc.

:ride:

Let me guess, you work for the UAW? :thumbsup:

Actually this Tundra will run a circle around the F-150 that its replacing. My old Ford has cost me over $2000 in repairs in the last year.....thats why I traded it on the Tundra.

Let me guess, you work for the UAW? :thumbsup:

Actually this Tundra will run a circle around the F-150 that its replacing. My old Ford has cost me over $2000 in repairs in the last year.....thats why I traded it on the Tundra.

was the f150 paid for?? 2g vs what you paid for a tundra. seams like a bad move to me. is the tundra new? 25g+ vs 2g. :ride:

[QUOTE=austin03]What do you all think of the '07 Tundra?

I was going to wait for the 07 but I got such a deal on a used 06 from the dealer that I couldn't pass it up. I finally decided that I "wanted" the bigger motor (10K tow rating vs. the 6500lbs. on my DC 4x4 limited) but, didn't "need" the bigger truck. The 07 Tundra is 4" wider, 5" taller, 10" longer than the 06. Maybe when I get a Toy Hauler I get an 07.

was the f150 paid for?? 2g vs what you paid for a tundra. seams like a bad move to me. is the tundra new? 25g+ vs 2g. :ride:

Oh yeah the F-150 was paid for. So is the Tundra.

Here is the deal. The Ford kept breaking, it cost me weekend riding trips (and money) because it was in the shop. I was at home when I could have been in the woods somewhere. Thats the biggest reason that its gone. I needed something reliable that I could count on......so I bought a Tundra.

We also have a 2006 Solara SLE sitting in the garage. So its not our first Toyota and it won't be our last. I've owned every brand, and nothing comes close to the quality of a Toyota. :thumbsup:

What do you all think of the '07 Tundra?

It looks 100% bad ass. My wife works for TMMI. I saw it at an open house they had a few months ago. :thumbsup: