Sign in to follow this  

'06 250 SX - should I consider one?

Like many others on a previous post I am getting tired of picking up that DRZ on the trail. I did myself a favor and sold the 650L that made me REALLY tired, now I'm thinking of dumping the DRZ, getting the new 250 KTM (4 stroke) with the better motor.

250 XC-W's seem scarce - can't find one locally, but they have 2 '06 250SX's, and they are discounted! $5999! Now they aren't exactly what I want which is a trail bike as they have the close ratio box, a really small tank, no side stand etc. and are clearly more MX oriented, but they sure are nice and light!

What do you think?

I just switched to an 06 250SX-F from an 02 520EXC for the same reasons... less weight and discount price. (However, I only paid $5500 plus tax)

The 250SX-F is very managable even in the tightest of Michigans woods. In transitioning to the newer bike I found the increase in quickness and agility definetly offset the drop in overall horsepower. I believe "many" trail riders often struggle to manage more horsepower than they really need or ever even use. I am an experienced rider and can cover ground faster on this bike than I could on the 520. (In the woods of course)

The price is great on these bikes right now... the only drawbacks are 1) Small tank... 2) Can be stubborn to start HOT. (Kick only)... and 3) Very loud with stock silencer.

I found the MX-style gear ratios to be just fine for aggressive trail riding. However, because there is hardly any flywheel weight on the SX-F it will have a tendancy to stall if you're not paying attention at low RPMs. On the plus side, because of the low flywheel weight it'll rev faster than the XCF and XCF-W

If you dont have the xtra $1200 for an '07 XCF, the last of the '06 250SX-F's are a great bike at a great price!

The one thing that keeps me away from a 250 mx is lack of torque. As an intermediate rider I find the ability of the engine to "plonk" very helpful when negotiating nasty stuff at low speed. That is why I like my KDX better than a 200 EXC. I guess you could add flywheel weight to the 250 SX to help this?

Seems to work with the 2 strokes.

Of course the agility of the 250 makes up for this to some degree. The SX is supposed to be less than 220 lbs, which is very appealing!

I say go for it, my Honda CRF250R twin piper was a great woods bike, I'm too old and needed "e" start, I was really surpised at the amount of low end, trail tech makes flywheel weights for that model, I could get 50 miles out of my stock 1.8 gallon tank, my buddies could only get 40-45 miles out of their big bikes. That light weight with is really nice...Of course love my new 250F XC-W...

If you shop around you can find an 07 250 SXF for $6190 at cyclezone. For $200 more I would DEFINITLY do the 2007 over a 2006.