HELP me with my DR650

Hello all, several days ago I took the plunge and got a DR650. I have been lurking these forums for month and appreciate all the info.

My DR has 650 18,700 miles. I have put about 300 miles on it in my 2 days of ownership. I was parking it last night and dropped it (the kickstand sucks on uneven ground). I didnt think it would be an issue.

Today I tried to start it and it will not fire up. Fuel is draining through carb ok. The spark plug looks fine. I noticed the oil was well below the window, so I added some synthetic.

It still will not fire up. It is turning over and sounds like it ignites for an instant but wont stay. I tried the choke in several positions. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

-Josh

Try starting it without the choke and the throttle held about halfway open....it may have flooded while on its side. If that doesnt work, remove the plugs and inspect them for wetness/spark.

Also, :ride: since you just bought the DR, you outta change the oil and filter, clean and oil the air filter, check-adjust-oil the chain and make sure all the bolts are tight. This will only take a few hours and will help to familiarize yourself with the bike. ?

Things I would check. Put in new plugs...just because. Check to see that carb float did not get stuck when bike tipped over due to inpact...either open or shut. Even though the switches test OK..... because it fell on the kickstand side it might have bent a little and even though the switch functions it may not be fully depressed due to a slight bend or not hitting the switch properly because it is not seated back in the up position all the way. Did the fuel valve hit anything or end up with a divot stuck in it. Pull fuel line and see if fuel pumps out when turning over engine. Its either a spark or fuel issue so start with one and check everything you can think of. Sometimes the smallest or dumbest things we think can never happen do....and it doesnt take much for an engine NOT to run. Gives you a nice quiet afternoon in the garage.

Im sure Im gonna get flack for this but the old school side of the trail method I have used from the 60's...tap it a few times with a screwdiver handle while holding bike upright. You may have checked the carb flow and drained what was left in the bowl after float got stuck, or float could be stuck on bottom and flooding out. New /right way. Take apart and check/clean carb.

How long was it laying down? Did it fall while you were near it and you picked it up right away? Or did it fall over during the night and you found it in the morning?

This is really a good question. THe 650 hates to be dumped for more than a few seconds. Fuel will flood the engine and air filter and the bike will run like crap for awhile until it clears. A stuck float will do this too. As Papa says, tap the bowl lightly with a screw driver handle to jar it free.

Mike.

I picked it up the second it tipped over. I have tried tapping the carb but that seems to have no effect. The battery is almost dead. What exactly does the PRI (prime?) setting do? I have tried to start it with the fuel switch on this postion as well as reserve, but am still having no luck. The sparkplugs are dark, but still look ok. I just want to ride my new toy damn it....

-Josh

I was riding... Had to charge up the battery the old fashioned way:) It was the Prime function that I did not know to use that was the problem... I never realized what this selection did... but now I do. I feel dumb but you gotta learn somehow.

Thanks for all the help guys!

-Josh