Sign in to follow this  

125cc or 250F?

Hi guys. Got a question for you with more experiance with the 250F than I have. I had a 2003 YZ450F for a little more than a year and liked it alot. About a month ago I was out with a friend of mine. He has a slightly moded YZ125 and we traded bikes for about an hour.

That bike was so much more "fun" to ride than mine!! My 450F is great and all, but it is ALOT of work to ride. His 125 was just plain FUN! I felt like a kid again! (I raced a YZ125 when I was in high school...20 years ago)

My 03 450F is now sold, and I am buying a new YZ next week. :thumbsup:

But do I get the 125 or 250F??

Would I enjoy a 250F as much as I did his YZ125?

What do you guys that have 250F's think??

I do for sure and the 125's are more fun to me. The 250f's are fun in a different way though. You can go way quick on 250f's very easily. 125's require alot of skill and to me that makes it fun. Blasting through a corner working the clutch and throwing up roost on the outside line. If its all about fun get a 125. Theres nothing more fun but 250f's are easier to go fast on.

My son has both a 125 with a 134 big bore and a 250f. The 134 is a dust collector in my shop.

As much as I love my 250 two smoker, it'll soon be replaced with a 250f.

OH, and two smokers are very hard to sell.

I do for sure and the 125's are more fun to me. The 250f's are fun in a different way though. You can go way quick on 250f's very easily. 125's require alot of skill and to me that makes it fun. Blasting through a corner working the clutch and throwing up roost on the outside line. If its all about fun get a 125. Theres nothing more fun but 250f's are easier to go fast on.

i dont know, i like the 4 stroke. there is a reason all the pros went to 4 stroke. the 4 stroke has that crack that is crazy. 2 strokes sound like there wineing all the time. its erritating. 250f :thumbsup:

A 250F is going to be lighter than the 450 you used to have. The owner of the Yamaha dealer I go to races MX and he always says he actually prefers the 250F over the 450 because its a lot easier to throw around.

Some people like the hard-hitting powerband of a 2-stroke over the smoother powerband of a 4-stroke, but most people are faster on a 4-stroke.

Its personal preference, really. I love the sound of a 4-stroke and the wider powerband.

Either a 125 or a 250F is going to be considerably easier to throw around than the 450 you used to have because of the weight, so its all in which kinda engine you prefer.

after riding both a 250 thumper and a two stroke i say that i like the fact that a 250 has so much bottom end (and thats good for me cuz i aint so good in the corners) but i like how you have to shift so much on a two stroke. not to mention that a 125 is twice as light as a 250. i hear that a CR 125 is a really good bike. haven't tried it yet though cuz i still have an RM. but really the choice is up to you.

I honestly dont think there is a better sound then a strong 125 running around the track. Like I said 250f's are the way to go for speed but you wont be far off if you have the skill and there is notihng more fun then getting everything out of your machinery. You will only improve as a rider. Take a look at some of the deals on ebay, 06 yz125's and husky cr125's for about 3k. I bought my '05 tc250 off of there. Awesome bike, very well built and she turns! Nicest bike I have ever owned by far. Basically the nicest I have ever seen also.

Thanks for the input guys! I did really like my 450F and I am sure that the 250F IS easyer to manage in tighter stuff like some of you said.

I guess I have been out of touch with the changes in 2 and 4 stroke bikes lattley. That is kinda why I was asking you guys. I hate to not buy a bike based on some thing I did not like, then find out that has been fixed on the new bikes.

Thanks again for the non-biased answers!! :thumbsup:

not to mention that a 125 is twice as light as a 250. i hear that a CR 125 is a really good bike. .

A 125 is not twice as light as a 250, its about 20 pounds lighter. Now, you could say that its 10% lighter...

Also, the CR 125 is one of the most gutless, underpowered 125s on the market. If you want a 125, Id go with a YZ 125. Its arguably the best 125 on the market.