Sign in to follow this  

Quad rider needs help!

Hello everyone,

I've been riding quads before I was even born. I love them, but I ALWAYS do WAY MORE wrenching than riding and it's seriously getting to my head. Spending thousands ($15,000+) on something that doesn't even run and when it does, falls apart isn't cutting it anymore. I'm wanting an 07' CRF250R but I'm a bit worried of making the switch. How long do you think it would take for me to be able to ride a bike on the ride with some skill? I've ridden a bike maybe 4 times in my life. Also a few reasons why bikes are better wouldn't hurt!

id go with a 250 2-stroke, alot less maintenence than any 4-stroke. i had a ltz400 at first but was tired of lugging it everywhere, so i got a 2002 cr250. it will take some getting use to but once you do its easy from there. i personaly love this bike, but id eventually like to get a 450f some day cause i trail ride and love the torque of those. but to answer your question it all depends on how often you ride. it tooke me about a week to feel comfortable on it but i ride everyday since i live in the desert. its all up to you, but i would suggest a 2-stroke if you dont want the maintanence, then later on get a 450f or whatever.

Maintinence is no big deal to me, it's actually a lot of fun. I just cant take the frame and every other chassis part thats rediculously expensive cracking like crazy like quads. I've got a CRF450 powered quad right now and had a 250R so I know both worlds. I like the idea of the CRF250 because I want a 4-stroke again with torque and I want to race this summer if i feel comfortable by then.

I went from a 2004 yamaha raptor to an 06 CRF450R. I would say it took me ~5 rides before I actaully felt comfortable on the bike.

The first ride I went very slow just because I was breaking it in. I remember my 2nd and third ride and really quesitoned why in the world I switched. I was hitting smallish tabletops and doubles on fourth ride. 5th ride I did a good bit better and just felt more in tune with the bike. I've probably got ~8 rides on it now and still have some moments where things fell unstable but for the most part everything is good. Happy I made the switch.

A 2-stroke is no going to be more dependable than a 4-stroke. IMO, it will be less dependable.

If you are used to riding a sport quad, I dont think it will take you long at all to adapt to a bike. I think the biggest thing to get used to will be cornering. With a quad you can slide it around the corners, but if you try to do that with a bike you will often have the front tire wash out or it will slide the backend and then high-center on you. Bikes just corner differently, but you will get used to it.

I too am looking to make the switch from a quad to a bike sometime in the near future. I almost bought a new YZ 250F but Im kinda new to shifting and clutching, so I decided to start out on a quad (ended up buying an '06 YFZ 450 SE). Ive had my quad a month now and I didnt think I would master the manual tranny this quickly. Im finding myself wishing I would have just got the bike, but Im still having fun on the quad.

The thing is though, I dont think a bike will be any more dependable than a quad. They use a lot of similar components in the engine and tranny and a 250F isnt going to run forever needing only oil changes and air filter changes once a year.

A 2-stroke is no going to be more dependable than a 4-stroke. IMO, it will be less dependable.

If you are used to riding a sport quad, I dont think it will take you long at all to adapt to a bike. I think the biggest thing to get used to will be cornering. With a quad you can slide it around the corners, but if you try to do that with a bike you will often have the front tire wash out or it will slide the backend and then high-center on you. Bikes just corner differently, but you will get used to it.

I too am looking to make the switch from a quad to a bike sometime in the near future. I almost bought a new YZ 250F but Im kinda new to shifting and clutching, so I decided to start out on a quad (ended up buying an '06 YFZ 450 SE). Ive had my quad a month now and I didnt think I would master the manual tranny this quickly. Im finding myself wishing I would have just got the bike, but Im still having fun on the quad.

The thing is though, I dont think a bike will be any more dependable than a quad. They use a lot of similar components in the engine and tranny and a 250F isnt going to run forever needing only oil changes and air filter changes once a year.

How do you figure a two-stroke is going to be less dependable than a four-stroke?

Let's compare a 250F to a 125. The 250F runs at a high RPM then the pinger (yes, it really does) and has WAY more moving parts.

High RPMs + Many moving parts (wear parts) = Grenade

Why's everyone think I want a 250F? I want a CRF

I'm not getting a 2-stroke so let's end that, been there done that.

I agree though that 2 strokes are more dependable WHEN set-up right and taken care of.

I'm getting away from quads because of chassis reliability, which a quad doesn't have and the ATV Racing Industry is seriosuly idiotic.

You will be fine after a few rides, welcome and enjoy 2-Wheels.

:thumbsup: IMO you are dead wrong! Personally I'm back on 2-srtokes because I prefer to ride rather than wrench.

Why's everyone think I want a 250F? I want a CRF

I'm not getting a 2-stroke so let's end that, been there done that.

I agree though that 2 strokes are more dependable WHEN set-up right and taken care of.

I'm getting away from quads because of chassis reliability, which a quad doesn't have and the ATV Racing Industry is seriosuly idiotic.

a 250f is the same thing as a crf250. just easier to type!

id really give a 2 stroke bike a second thought...my friend rides/races 2- kx250f's and they require a whole lot of maintenence. if u really want a 250f then get one. it isnt a bad choice at all. good luck!

If I was going to get a 250F I would go with the yamaha. yamaha 4 strokes are proven to be more reliable.

either way, you will have to do valve checks and adjustments, change the oil OFTEN and clean the air filter. that's pretty much it as far as basic maintenance.

hey, like you i was a quad rider that made the switch. i still ride quads but the bike is really different. its more stimulating. the bike moves laterally, sways, kicks and various other physical feelings you wont get on a quad. also the fear that floods your mind at certain points comes more often and is more prevalent. you realize you can actually fall, and that high speed ride down the trail gets that much more interesting when you notice you could be skidding across the ground at that speed if you mess up. not to metion the fact that you now have a better power/weight ratio coupled with about a fraction the traction. All of that equals one hell of a rush!! once you get hooked on the adrenaline rush the 4-wheeled version will seem really dull. plus you just feel cooler on a bike because you know your doing something that takes that much more skill. thats the phycological asspect of it, for me atleast.

the actual riding is different. first thing that sorts gets u nervous is u sit much higher. correct riding position is key on a bike. also, you working on much less traction. the rear will kick out under power or in lose conditions, and at lean angles. the front is the one i really find myself looking after. on a quad u never really worry about ur front ends traction. but on a bike you'll find monitoring whats going on with the front end is really important. it can dive in soft sand or slide out in slick mud. up hills and down hills are different as well. on a quad you simply sit forward and allow those two large tires to pull you up. a bike requires more finess and momentum. downhills isn;t a matter of just holding the rear break either. you have to modulate between front and back. to much of either will put you on the floor. but the plus is once you have the skill, you could tackles hills a quad could never dream of. the catch is u need the skill.

as far at maintinence. what is it onyour quad your always maintaining? the motor or the chasis?

hey, like you i was a quad rider that made the switch. i still ride quads but the bike is really different. its more stimulating. the bike moves laterally, sways, kicks and various other physical feelings you wont get on a quad. also the fear that floods your mind at certain points comes more often and is more prevalent. you realize you can actually fall, and that high speed ride down the trail gets that much more interesting when you notice you could be skidding across the ground at that speed if you mess up. not to metion the fact that you now have a better power/weight ratio coupled with about a fraction the traction. All of that equals one hell of a rush!! once you get hooked on the adrenaline rush the 4-wheeled version will seem really dull. plus you just feel cooler on a bike because you know your doing something that takes that much more skill. thats the phycological asspect of it, for me atleast.

the actual riding is different. first thing that sorts gets u nervous is u sit much higher. correct riding position is key on a bike. also, you working on much less traction. the rear will kick out under power or in lose conditions, and at lean angles. the front is the one i really find myself looking after. on a quad u never really worry about ur front ends traction. but on a bike you'll find monitoring whats going on with the front end is really important. it can dive in soft sand or slide out in slick mud. up hills and down hills are different as well. on a quad you simply sit forward and allow those two large tires to pull you up. a bike requires more finess and momentum. downhills isn;t a matter of just holding the rear break either. you have to modulate between front and back. to much of either will put you on the floor. but the plus is once you have the skill, you could tackles hills a quad could never dream of. the catch is u need the skill.

as far at maintinence. what is it onyour quad your always maintaining? the motor or the chasis?

Thanx Man, that really helped, makes me even more eager!

Chassis is my huge problem, Every frame I get cracks to pieces. Even my full JRD chassis is cracking (a $6000 chassi). I can't afford this or have the time! A brand new 07' bike will be change compared to what I've spent on quads and have gotten nowhere.