Sign in to follow this  

milky engine oil

I took a trip to the dunes last weekend and trying to get up a hill overheated my my 05 450r really bad. So after I got home I washed it checked the valves and then changed the oil. I oil from the crank side was milky looked just like chocolate milk. So this would lead me to belive it is a bad head gasket. I changed the oil and started the bike ran it for a while and checked the oil looked fine. I rode my bike up and down the road for a good 30 minutes and the oil still looked fine. So my question is did that overheating episode have somthing to to with the milky oil. And if I do have a bad head gasket how come my oil is not turning milky right away?

99% of the time, your oil will become milky due to coolant being introduced to the oil system - so yes, since you overheated, it's most likely this. This is most likely due to a blown head gasket, or maybe a blown "inner" water pump seal - either could be the culprit. Also, if it is yer head gasket, it could "re-seal" after letting it cool, but make sure you replace it anyways cuz it aint likely to stay this way - definitely replace it, unless you find that it is your water pump seal, then replace that...

I have done a search and am still not totally clear on this. Can either of the water pump seals going bad leak colant into the crank side oil. Or does it only leak into the clutch side oil. Another interesting note on this I was looking things over and noticed that the valve cover gasket was not seated properly after I checked the valves. it was rolled back and I noticed some oil seeping out. After I had checked the valves and replaced the cover before I noticed the milky oil I washed my bike down really good with the tank and seat off. Could I have just gotten some water in through that valve cover gasket during the wash?

My water pump seals have gone bad three times on my 03. When the oil seal failed, it allowed coolant to leak into the clutch side of the case only. I think you got water in the engine side when you washed your bike.

I dont think you could have milked your oil by washing your bike... I would keep looking into the water pump seal...

You can get water into your oil if you do wash it and spray water into the the air box. Drain the oil and replace, fill up the radiator with coolant, start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes. Drain the oil again and replace, let it run a few more minutes, drain the oil again and replace. If you still see milky looking oil after 3 oil drains then you have a problem.

I have done a search and am still not totally clear on this. Can either of the water pump seals going bad leak colant into the crank side oil. Or does it only leak into the clutch side oil. Another interesting note on this I was looking things over and noticed that the valve cover gasket was not seated properly after I checked the valves. it was rolled back and I noticed some oil seeping out. After I had checked the valves and replaced the cover before I noticed the milky oil I washed my bike down really good with the tank and seat off. Could I have just gotten some water in through that valve cover gasket during the wash?

When the water pump seal goes it leaks into the tranny side.