Sign in to follow this  

Oiling the air filter

Hi mates, i have an UNI air filter, i've seen there're quite a lot of products when it comes to oiling the filters, but the question is :

- Is the Spray air oil filter better than the liquid oil filter ?

:thumbsup:

I think it is becuase with the liquid you have to squeeze out all the oil and you have to do it quite a few times messy and I usally dont get it all out and it makes amess.

Ok, then the spray would be the better option? However, i think the liquid would cover all the suface pretty well, and the spray type, i guess it would do it quite well but not as much as the liquid because the liquid goes deeper in the foam, please, correct me if i am wrong :thumbsup:

I use PJ1 spray cleaner and oil.

It works just as well as the liquid except there is less waste and it is cleaner for you to do.

I just spray the oil all over to get even coverage, then stuff it in a plastic bag, seal it, then work the oil all the way through.

If you spray the right amount it does go all the way through the foam.

The stuff works. Give it a try...

I think it is becuase with the liquid you have to squeeze out all the oil and you have to do it quite a few times messy and I usally dont get it all out and it makes amess.

It would be alot cleaner if you put the air filter in a plastic bag when you squeeze all the oil out.

Works good. Just make sure you get enough on.. Rember, you're not going to hurt it putting to much oil on, but you sure will if you don't put enough on!

I put the oil on it, and than squeeze it over the garbage to make sure I have enough.. Than I put it on the outside and squeeze it..

It would be alot cleaner if you put the air filter in a plastic bag when you squeeze all the oil out.

Thats what I do but what I do is put it in the bag and add oil squeeze it through and then try to squeeze the excess out but I always add way to much oil and its a pain :thumbsup: I will start trying to put on a little oil then put it in the bag and squeeze it out.

Use No Toil Dude. Kawasaki is now selling it under thier brand name. Washed mine in it today. It is completely safe to use in the sink- no mess and no gas smell. The cleaner breaks down the oil and it cleans up real nice. Then you spray new oil on. Best product I have ever seen. Makes cleaning an air filter easy. I always hated the smell, the sticky fingers etc. Now I don't mind washing them! I think it is environmentally safe or something too......

I cant stand the liquid, but i use it anyways. I havent used the spray stuff, but it sounds a bunch easier and neater. I hate liquid bc you have to squeeze it out soo much and it makes a mess and is a bi*ch to get off.

Wow, you all really go into detail with your filter. :ride: I, personaly, just give it a good thick coating, and stick it on. Haven't had any problems with that yet, and it seems to be working fine :thumbsup:

Thanks to all, i'm going to give a try to Spray oil, here we don't have the No toil stuff :applause: , but thanks again, by the way, how much oil spray i have to put it in the filter? i know the outside and the inside but how much?

:thumbsup::applause::ride:

Thanks to all, i'm going to give a try to Spray oil, here we don't have the No toil stuff :applause: , but thanks again, by the way, how much oil spray i have to put it in the filter? i know the outside and the inside but how much?

:ride::applause::applause:

Make sure it is all covered, and I am sure that will be good. :applause:

There are probably directions right on the can itself :thumbsup:

Today i found in another moto store, an UNI foam filter, the price was good so i bought it,so, the next time i'll buy a spray type, it is a really sticky oil, in the iiner side i added it just a bit, hope this help anyway, but the outerside was covered abolutely.

I'll put some grease in the bottom of th air filter for propper sealing

definatly buy the UNI spray cleaner and oil. some products have chemicals that will dissolve your air filter.

Is that true? i used kerosene to clean it because of this

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/TrailTips/FenderBagOct98.html

Here, the UNI gay said, we can use kerosene in our UNI air filters, but we recommend UNI cleaners beacuse they are biodegradable and it won't hurt your hands.

please, read this link, it is very interesting :thumbsup:

Carburetor cleaner can disolve some filters, but if you buy any foam filter cleaner you'll be fine.

As you have found out, you can also use gas or kerosene too.

Use the spray oil to completely cover the inner and outer surfaces of the filter, then work it through the foam with your fingers. I put the filter in a plastic bag after spraying to make it a little less messy while working it in. The idea is to cover all of the little surfaces of all the cells of the foam with the sticky oil. Not just the surfaces of the filter but all the way down into the foam. This gives your filter the best chance of catching as much dirt and dust as possible.

While it's probably true that you won't hurt anything by using to much oil, it is possible to over oil a filter and this will have an effect on air flow and possibly affect your jetting. Too much oil will also make a mess as it will drip off and pool in your airbox. However, I would rather have too much than not enough. Generally, after I work it through I give it a good squeeze, while still in the bag, to remove the excess. If a lot of excess squeezes out then you know you used too much. After a few cleanings and re-oilings you'll get the hang of how much to apply.

I can't remember which brand I'm currently using but I have a can of the oil and a can of cleaner (same brand). The oil is red so it's easy to visually confirm filter coverage. To clean the filter you just spray it down thoroughly with the cleaner then wash in the sink with soap and warm water. The cleaner disolves and suspends the oil so that it washes away in the sink. Very easy and no mess. Rinse well, squeeze out the excess water and let air dry before re-oiling.

Grease on the sealing surface of the filter is also a good idea. It doesn't clean quite as easily as the oil but it's definitely worth the little extra time. On some bikes it's difficult to tell if the filter is properly seated all the way around and the grease helps insure you have a dirt proof seal.

I have always used the PJ1 Filter Cleaner. But last week I tried the UniFilter Brand Cleaner, In my opinion it sucked, it didn't clean the filter as easily. I used exactly the same process as I usually use but had to repeat it because there was still oil on the filter. My two cents is the PJ1 is better, it always leaves the filter nice and clean no residue or oil left. For what its worth I use the Bell Ray Foam Filter Oil in my bikes, stays put and gets nice and tacky. I have four filters to clean every ride - mine, the wife's, son's, and daughter's; so not having to do them all twice is my main concern.

Very good explanations, i'm going to use these tips next time.

When i replaced the filter with its inner cage onto the air box, i noticed the UNI cage was different to the other that was with the other uni filter, i bought this bike a month ago, it had a uni filter but when i removed the filter, i could see the inner cage and maybe it is the OEM cage, it has a grey metal color and it is a little short than the uni, so, i had to fit this cage instead the uni due to the size of uni, i couldn't close the air filter lock.

Now, it seems to be normal. Here in Chile we have the euro or australian version, the motorcycle market down here is from euro model mostly in all the motorcycle brands.

Cheers :thumbsup: