Sign in to follow this  

Total Knee Replacement

I just completed a TKR 4 wks ago, at 53 I am ready to get back on the yz426, riding trails. Anybvody else out ther3e with a TKR wish to share thoughts? I will wait for 4 more weeks, being old and all.

I had mine done 4 months ago and now there is so much scar tissue in the joint that we have to go back in and see why my knee doesn't want to bend more than 75 degrees....good luck......

Sounds bad, I am about 120 degrees, hurts like hell, but I have a 10 lb wt on my ankle and lay on my back, raising the thigh to my chest, trying to keep the lower leg horizontal, letting the weight pull the leg down. I leave the weight on it till I cannot stand the pain, rest and do it again, 5 reps per day. Then... I get on the bicycle. Amazing how much the supposed to be good leg has atrophied too.

With you being at the 4 mo mark, have you tried to ride yet? Since I am at 5 wks today and with a YZ426, still afraid to try to kick it over, besides still hurts to walk long distances. Shure hope ths all goes away soon. Don't want to screw up by being too eager.

No I have not tried to ride, I can't get my foot on the footpeg yet. Walking is no problem and there is no pain until my knee tries to bend past 75 degrees and then it just stops altogether. I just hope the doctor doesn't find that elusive tool that he might have accidently left in there.

It’s been 1 year since my TKR. I have been riding about twice a month since the 12th week. It’s been painful, but I have pushed it so that I could get full flexion. Now I have the opposite problem. My doctor is blown away that I can achieve 138 degrees. This is 18 degrees more than the Stryker NRG device is intended to bend. He has of course recommended "no more dirt biking" and I should probably seriously consider his advice. I would hate to go through the procedure again. If you sit on your bike and have someone squat the backend, you will see that you will need to get more than 120 degrees out of your knee. Unless you intend on standing in the proper standing position the rest of your life, you might want to see what the max recommended flexion rating is for your particular device.

My knee has never fully recovered (swelling and pain) and the doc says it’s because of the over flex I have caused from pushing past the limit of my particular device. I wish you all the best of luck and hope that you can get back in the saddle soon. For now, I will take a 3-6 month break and see if I can get the pain and swelling to calm down before I seek more information on the realities of riding after having this procedure.

I guess Im ready to join the party! I need reconstruction to repair the ACL in my left knee, which has significant damage, and my right knee is shot, just to the bone on bone point and arthritis is starting, Doc says 5 to 10 years for a TKR. In the meantime Im getting fitted for a Brace for the right knee, all this from injuries incurred over 20 years ago that I did nothing about. Ive heard many different things, but about how long to recoup from a reconstruction? Im 45 and pretty active, I just cant afford to be off work too long, although I could end up being off work permanetly if I dont do something! Thanks for any response.:thumbsup:

The time necessary to recover from an ACL reconstuction depends completely of the person holding the knife. Our guys walk normally the day of the operation, without crutches or braces, return to desk jobs at one week, physical jobs at two weeks, and racing bikes at three months.

There are pleanty of men out their who's patients just suffer complication upon complication and never get back to sports.

There are many ACL related posts on this site.