Sign in to follow this  

Is 60% on a leakdown test bad? ;-D

Well here I was all concerned about my valves being out of spec (only 1 intake was on the tight side, but still in spec) and found out why my bike was getting hard to start was the rings!

Didn't bother to do a compression test since it has the auto-decomp, but he did a leakdown test. Nothing coming out the exhaust, but I could totally hear and smell it coming out the crank tube. Ah well, that's what I get for not maintaining my bike all that well - I've ridden it for 2+ years now and pretty much just changed the oil, cleaned the filter. Maybe I need to ride more???

So I was thinking about an Athena kit, but now that I know it's down on power by a MILE (did I say I need to ride more so I know the difference?), I'm thinking new rings and a hi-comp piston.

Any other thoughts?

Wholly cow! 60% leakdown is extreme. I'll bet there's cylinder or piston damage to cause that much leakage. I'm surprized it would even run.

Actually runs pretty fair considering... It's only a little difficult to start whn cold. After that no problems!

We had 50% on our leak down test. Nothing looked or measured "bad". Our was a little finicky in starting cold after it warmed up no problem. We couldn't get ours started with the 50% results (kick starting only). It sure maybe time to have a look inside. Good luck!

We had 50% on our leak down test. Nothing looked or measured "bad". Our was a little finicky in starting cold after it warmed up no problem. We couldn't get ours started with the 50% results (kick starting only). It sure maybe time to have a look inside. Good luck!

What ended up being the issue? Just bad/worn rings?

We are still in the process of replacing parts and reassembly. Taking my time and trying to do a good job!! Piston/cylinder measured in spec. Top ring in spec, 2nd ring out of spec. So I can't say exactly what it was. I'm going to replace piston/ring and put the head on and see what I have for compresssion before going any further. I will update the original thread once I have more info.