Sign in to follow this  

What front sprocket would you use for street/racing/dirt touring?

I'm going to be using my bike for commuting (75 mph tops), motard racing (see link to track outline) and some half day tears through the country, and maybe some single track.

Tough to cover all those bases. I will say I"m not afraid of high revvs on the highway as long as the vibes don't get to me, and as long as the engine can stay cool. I'm thinking of dropping an athena 436 kit on the thing, unless the MT kit is better.

I was thinking of having a tire setup for offroad/touring on dirt (teraflex rear pirelli front) and of course a 17" excel/talon/dunlop setup for track and street duty.

If I go to a 14T front sprocket, would I use say a 44 on the back for the 17's and a 47 for the dirt tires? I could also go 14-41 for the motard setup.. or even 14-38.

If there's a reason to stick with a 15T front sprocket let me hear it.

I'll run two chains so that's not an issue. I'd just prefer to leave the front sprocket on and make my adjustments w/the rear.

Track I'll be racing on:

http://southsaskkartclub.tripod.com/track.htm

Sounds good to me. You can do it all with a 14. For chain wear, bigger on the front is better but as you have already figured out, you are limited on lower gearing. You would have to use 15/51 to equal 14/47. I think your choice of 14 is good.