Sign in to follow this  

new rider - 250 or 400

I am about 6' 170. Never owned a bike before. My research has led me to the XRs. I just can not decide which one. 250 or 400. Any suggestions. :thumbsup:

What kind of riding is in your area? I think it depends on the type of riding to some degree, but I would go with the 250 since you have zero experience. I think it's the perfect first bike for most adult males.

You will probably outgrow it, but if you get into one right you won't lose any money on it. You may also decide you want something else besides the XR400 later on.

I would also say the 250 is probably a better choice. The 250 is very forgiving in handling and control, which as said makes it a great bike for the adult first timer. I think the 400 would also be a great choice but the extra weight and power for a beginner without balance and throttle control could make for some pretty spectacular crashes...hehe :thumbsup:

Good luck, with the XR you can't go wrong!

I say go with the 250, it's more then enough bike under most conditions. plus, once u uncork it, they will move surpriseingly fast.

thanks for the tip. If I did not live so far away i'd probably do it. Still may consider. Thanks