Sign in to follow this  

short seat height

I'm looking to get a 4 stroke bike in the 450cc neighborhood and I want to get some opinions on what bikes have short seat heights. I have a 30" inseam and currently ride a DR650 which fits me pretty well. Some of the motocross bikes I've sat on seem to be much higher. Is it possible to get most of the bikes lower by shaving the seat? What bikes shoudl I be looking at?

Yeah, you can shave foam to make it shorter. You will be fine man, most people aren't flat feet on the bikes. Suzuki, I think is shorter than the other 4.

I've made my YZ450F seat into a step seat, I cut about an inch off which is about half the thickness. I've got about a 31" inseam and the bike feels pretty easy to hold up when it goes to tip over in a corner.

My objective is not to be flat footed. And once it's rolling everything should be fine. On my DR, I'm on the tips of my toes and it's managable.

Some of the bikes I've test fitted are so tall that the bike is leaning far enough to one side that I end up having to support the weight of the bike rather than balance it. When the bike is over that far there is no way I would be able to start the thing.

So of the bikes out there, which are the talller ones and which are shorter? I've looked at the seat height specs on the web, but I've found them dubious at best.

Remember that the bikes you are sitting on are not set for the sag height for you. To measure the true height of the bike you have to set the sag and then make your judgement. Just keep that in mind.