just bought set of yz hot cams for my wr

ok here we go, just picked up a set of yz hot cams w/auto decom for my 01 wr250......... they're stage one's.

what can I expect? I'm hoping for a stronger low end.

I had auto decom on my KLX and I got good at getting to TDC and could fire it up 1-2 kicks hot or cold. I must admit that I've now been able to kick this wrf over consistently too now that I've learned the proceedure but I'm still looking forward to not dealing with the compression release and having a easier kick.

Paid $160 for the set used with 10 hrs use on them

• 2 weeks later...
What's the ride report after getting the hotcams?? I've got some coming next week so am interested to know what you think

I just got the hot cams today. I''ve had some issues with this here bike so I'm taking care of everything at once. The second time out on the bike I realized that what I thought was cam chain noise was really my flywheel about to explode. The rivets we're just dangling there, about to give it up. So I've got a new one on order along with a new cam chain. So I'll slap it all together at once, along with a gearing change from 50/13 to 52/12.

So I'll let you know what the outcome is, you do the same when yours is in.

I plan on using the yz timing, not sure what it's set at now seeing that this has had lots of mods before I got it, but I'd guess it's using yz timing, we'll see.

Just die'n to get it done ?

• 2 weeks later...

My mate (06 WR250) and I both put hotcams (stage 1) in our bikes last weekend and just had our first real bush ride yesterday (100 miles) after running in the cams as per recommendations. All I can say is WOW!! We have been riding this same track for nearly two years now, so know exactly what the bikes can do in what gears (there's plenty of long hill climbs) - however most of the day I was reaching for another gear on the climbs and the bike was doing it. Mid range is the biggest improvement, with some down low. Up high, not noticeable - anyway, you dont need it - just change up and keep hammering.

Easily the best money spent so far on my bike.

Note: Aussie guys - dont buy from shops, go to ebay and bring them in from a U.S. seller, you'll save a packet.

• 1 month later...
I So I'll slap it all together at once, along with a gearing change from 50/13 to 52/12.

I run 52/13 in most applications, like track/desert, and 52/12 in the woods. 52/12 is EXTREMELY low for this bike, unless you're down on power in the tight stuff. I don't reccomend it for anything else, plan to use the clutch/shifter often. My 2001, it was clocked at 60 mph before the limiter with 52/13.

i just got both hot cams for my 01 wr 426 and am having trouble with the timing not sure if i should go with the wr timing or the yz timing are the stage one cams blue dots set for yz or wr? and do you line the fly wheel up with the H or the I

If you bought Hotcams then you can throw the whole YZ or WR thing out the window. You will now be running Hotcams timing. Use the timing marks and line them up like your manual says. The sprockets are indexed specific to the model you bought them for, for the 426 they don't have different cams for the YZ and WR, they use the same cam for both apps. Hope this helps.

Josh