Sign in to follow this  

Noisy Top end KLR250

hey guys,

i have an 86 klr250 and has 28k km's(not sure in miles) and it has recenetly become impossible to kick start and has a loud tap in the topend that used to go away after a few minutes but now its there all the time, it started blowing blue smoke aswell and i was just wondering what can be done ????

i dont have a manual for it either.........

Thanks

Adam

It might be the Cam Chain Adjuster getting ready to grab another notch then it will be quiet again, but if I were you I would get it to the dealer so you aren't stranded 100 miles out in the woods when it decides to give it up.

The rattle on the top end could be down to oil starvation. This problem cost me £250 approx $500 for a new inlet cam and follower which is a common problem in the klr. The blue smoke could be on of two things, either the oil scraper ring on the piston is shot or the valve stem oil seals have hardned and are allowing oil into the chamber. I`ve just rebuilt my top end and it cost me a small fortune (lucky her indoors does`nt know). Hope that helps.

Hard starting on these can mean the valves need adjusting. I'd check the valve clearances, the chain tensioner, and check the timing marks just to mark sure the timing didn't jump a tooth. On mine when it got very noisy (it's always noisy) the exhaust cam had become very worn and had to be replaced. Not sure what the exact cause was, but I think it was partly due to the KACR being loose (as compared to how the new one felt/looked) and probably not enough oil, too.

Chas

It has the old screw and locknut for adjusting the valves. One of them could have come loose, and backed off. Makes a hell of a racket!