Sign in to follow this  

a '98 yz250 or a '02 yz125, w/c one to choose?

hi fellows,

i'm being offered a 2nd-hand '98 YZ250 for less than US$2k and a 2nd-hand '02 YZ125 also sold at about the same price. all bikes came from reputable racing individuals and i've seen the two (2) bikes already; i was drooling, needless to say.

my riding skills: been exposed to dirt for a long time using 2-stroke 125cc enduros and 200cc 4-stroke ones (never like 4-stroke by the way). never tried any of these power bikes (YZ's) before in my entire life in trails and races.

if you were me folks, with the level of my present skills, w/c bike will you choose? other than the 250cc is already an 8 year old bike, won't it be too much of a power for me just weighing in 154 lbs?

my budget(?): only good for one bike...

thanks. kind regards.

I think the YZ125 will be great for you.

Edit: If you look around you could probably find a better deal for a newer 125.

my 95' has the same engine as the 98' and i think its a great bike. I also had to choose between a 99' yz125 and my 95' yz250. Of course i wondered if it was too much, me only weighing 120lbs. I like it alot, very glad i went with the 250. At least i wont have to upgrade to a bigger bike because of power, might eventually get a newer model. :thumbsup:

The 250 isn't as nimble as the 125, but it is much easier to ride slowly because it has so much more low end power. If you ride in rocky areas or where traction is a problem, you can just lug the 250 to get through it, but the 125 will end up spinning its tires and be more difficult to control. A 125 is an awful lot of fun in areas where the trails aren't too steep and rocky.

The 250 isn't as nimble as the 125, but it is much easier to ride slowly because it has so much more low end power. If you ride in rocky areas or where traction is a problem, you can just lug the 250 to get through it, but the 125 will end up spinning its tires and be more difficult to control. A 125 is an awful lot of fun in areas where the trails aren't too steep and rocky.

Agree! the 250 can run at low speed easier but has the power at snap of throttle. The 125 is real zippy, sounds nice but fights you when you need any torque :thumbsup:

thanks, mates. will consider buying a year 2006 YZ250 then...

more power to all of you. talking about 2-stroke, are we all die-hard 2-strokers here, ey?!

cheers. kind regards.