Which D/S is better ???

Hi guys:

I may as well ask and get flamed right away!!!

Which duel sport is better for touring, street riding mostly, comfort,reliability,performance, warrantee issues....??etc etc..??

I am looking at a new KLR650.....but may as well get ripped and ask the stupid questions now as not at all and buy something that may not be the better choice....RIGHT????

What do you think of the other brands and their comparable machines in this class????

Be gentle...I'm fragile!!!! lol

I should say I'm 6' 1" and 200lbs.

Pound away!!! I've got strong shoulders!!!! lol

Willys ?

The KLR is extremely popular, owner loyalty is almost cult like. The BMW F650GS is a good bike for mostly road, light off road duties. The Honda XR650L is better at playing off road than the others, but still goes down the pavement real good. The Suzuki DRZ400S is smaller and lighter, much better off road, but a big compromise for long highway stretches. Read this site, it's geared towards what you're asking: http://www.multisurfacemotorcycling.com/msm.htm

One of my dad's employees has a KLR650 and loves it. He rides mostly roads (and some fireroads and stuff) and it seems to suit his style pretty good.

He's been all over the place with that thing. I know he's gone on trips around Lake Michigan, and he's been up into Canada, and had no problems. So I'd assume that it's relatively comfortable on longer trips.

My KLR loved it on the highway and was decent riding on fireroads and the like. Aftermarket support is strong and KLR loyalists are religious zealots concerning their bikes. I don't miss mine once the trail gets broken.

I am touring/ADVriding/commuting/kid chasing on a DRZ right now and couldn't be happier. There are several people who complain about the seat but aftermarket solutions exhist. I ride a cut down stock seat and it feels fine to me. I like to take advantage of available riding opprotunities wherever I go so the DRZ was the logical choice for me.

I test-rode a KLR before I eventually bought a KTM 640 Adventure. If you don't mind spending a bit more, the KTM is a much more advanced machine and its overall performance is light years beyond the KLR IMHO.

The only two flies in the KTM ointment when compared to the KLR are engine vibration and seat comfort. The seat can be changed, and as they break in, the KTMs get smoother, but never quite loose the shaking.

It wasn't a deal-breaker for me, but some people don't care for it.

Not a bad question at all.

When Touring - do you want to be able do 80+ on the freeway (for passing of course)? Or are you going to stick to side roads - 60mph? When off road how tight of a trail, steep a hill, etc do you want to do?

What is the budget?

heres my 2cents. mostly dirt with a little street dr400s. mostly dirt with a decent amount of street xr650l but the dr is better in the tight stuff. 50/50 but youre to short for the honda but need a 650 factory dual sport dr650 .the klr is mostly a street bike there is no reason to buy one if you plan on hitting dirt.I have a xr650,I had a dr 400,and I rode a dr650

Hi guys:

I will ride mostly on the street as I perfer the seating postion of a duelsport bike, had a Honda 600XL years ago and enjoyed it. I have a bad neck due to a car accident, plated and fused, so streetbikes are out. I have a 98 Ninja at the moment and it has to go.

I want enough power to get me from A to B and be able to get past the traffic and out of harms way if needed. I have a Polaris 500HO sportsman ATV for the dirt so I would only do light trails at the most on it.

I have been leaning towards a KLR650 new but wanted to hear about all of the other brands and what you experts have to say about them all.

New KLR650 in my area is $6500. and that is all I really want to spend or close to it.

I need a very comfy seat for comuting hour or more each way daily and possibly for trips across the land to see...? This is why I have leaned toward the KLR650 but am open to suggestions.

Thanks again

Willys

I dont think you can go wrong with the KLR, especially from the info you've provided on needs and rider.

There's a real active bunch of KLR guys at socaldualsport@yahoo.com

They have tech days and have some battle worn bikes, and years of experience. These guys ride em, and have lots of experience. Join the group and get a sampling of what the bike can do, popular mods and other experiences.

I test-rode a KLR before I eventually bought a KTM 640 Adventure. If you don't mind spending a bit more, the KTM is a much more advanced machine and its overall performance is light years beyond the KLR IMHO.

The only two flies in the KTM ointment when compared to the KLR are engine vibration and seat comfort. The seat can be changed, and as they break in, the KTMs get smoother, but never quite loose the shaking.

It wasn't a deal-breaker for me, but some people don't care for it.

spot on - I agree

Might I suggest if your are going to be riding mostly street(since your on a ninja now) that you may try one of the Vstroms out. They have the dual sport riding position and a VERY comfortable seat. Also if you have a passanger it is comfortable for them as well. ?

Not a bad question at all when spending this kind of money I want as much info as possible. It sounds like a WeeStorm might be the ticket for you. If you want a "dirty-er" looking bike look at the DR650, or if your budget allows and it matters to you a BMW or KTM.

Thanks for the suggestion on the V-storm ..bt I don't like the look sorry!!!Yuk!

I think I have all but decided to go with a KLR650. Just need to find one at a good price new from what dealer I don't know! Toronto Ontario Canada area

Thanks again

Which dealer have you had a better buying deal and experience from in my area???

Willys ?

You should test ride a used BMW R1150GS just for comparison. It's a fabulous bike for the type of riding you are describing. And it has ABS brakes and heated grips and is a rock solid touring bike that can do fire roads and some exploring.

You should be able to get a good used GS for about the same price as a new KLR ($6.5K - $7.5K).

I bought a 2006 Husky TE 610. I ride dual sport "light", not to much single track, mostly established trails and fire roads, and I'm likely to ride to the off road portion of the ride, at least for the local stuff. For that, the 610 is great. I had some difficulty with tight stuff in deep sand, but I'm still a new rider. On the down side, aftermarket support is limited for this particular model, and it is pricier than other options mentioned here. On the up side, mid range power is great, and I love that 6th gear. Be aware that California is searching their computers for DS bikes that have been "inappropriately plated". I've seen some posts on this issue in other parts of TT. Good luck. cr