Sign in to follow this  

06 vs 07 EXC

I'm about to buy a 525 EXC. I know other messages have touched on this but it looks like the 06's are at least $1000 less. My Utah dealer says he can add the street legal stuff for $200 and deliver it licensed and inspected. My use will be primarily off road but want to avoid licensing hassles in the future. The 07's may have an advantage here but it looks like the differences are hi/low beam, turn signals, more handlebar switches and a steering post lock. I would think nearly all of this could be added to the 06 if ever needed?? The 07's have the black rims (graphics type change only) but sounds like there is a change to the rear suspension. Is this significant or more of a tweak??

I have heard conflicting stories about the 07 arrivals. Some of the XC's are already here. The expected arrival of the EXC's seem to range anywhere from next week to November - anyone have the real story??

Also conflicting stories on engine mods. One dealer says the 06's are already green dot certified even in California and don't expect any changes. Other stories say the 07's will be more restricted - what's the real story??

just bought the 06 the 07er has also a different colorscheme and

a two/part clutchcover; the pricedifference made me buy the 06er

Also conflicting stories on engine mods. One dealer says the 06's are already green dot certified even in California and don't expect any changes. Other stories say the 07's will be more restricted - what's the real story??

I've heard both side of that statement. For the most part, I'm sure they will be jetted very crappy to meet the emission standards. Have the emission cannister and associated plumbing on them, but I really don't believe there will be any physicall difference's in the heads or the cams etc.

Husky got their 06's out DOT approved and didn't mod the physical, just the jetting, emission stuff and the lights, switch gear etc. I am hoping that KTM does the same. I am really hoping they increase the oil capacity to 2 quarts so that it will be worthy of some street time without running it too hot. You know once you get a tag on a bike, you will end up riding it more on the street some. I want the reliability of a decent oil capacity for extended rides.

If they don't, well guess i'll go Husky for the 510.

The price of the 07 goes up to account for the DOT stuff. If you can get the 06 and plated from your dealer in Utah for 1200 less than an 07, I would think that is the way to go.

You say you don't think they will be any physical changes, but you hope they increase the oil capacity to 2 quarts? It's one or the other. I don't expect motor changes, but they might use a different carb and for sure will plug it up pretty bad. The Huskys didn't worry about oil capacity either. Left it up to the owner to do the extra maintinance. I think if anyone wants to make the 07s more streetable, they are going to need to put down for a fan (if it doesn't come with the factory one) and an oil cooler, both for the cooling and capacity.

mrclueless, something to think about is the ability of the person doing the installation of the street legal components. I did the same thing with an '05 exc and had to go back and redo many of the the connectors and a mess of wiring. The dealer was supposed to deliver the bike to me in a way that I would be able to quick-disconnect all the street legal junk, and re-connect as needed. They did as I wanted but it was just a mess. Many of the connectors would not stay tight and they came up short with wire in some spots and spliced in different colors etc. Pure crap. I think if you're concerned with the street legality of the bike I would go with the factory setup.

You say you don't think they will be any physical changes, but you hope they increase the oil capacity to 2 quarts? It's one or the other.

No not really. What I think and what I hope can be two different things.

Since I posted that, I have gone to the dealer and saw the specs. No changes except to the suspension specs, the DOT stuff, and a billet triple clamp and the asthetics like rim color etc.). Motors, cams all the same (nothing special for the EXC is what I mean), but the jetting will be different to meet the emssions. Oil capacity still at 1.2 and no fan. SO if you are gonna do some street time, you will need to add a fan if you think you'll be in some stop and go stuff for periods of time.

The really bad part is the price. 8299 MSRP, then taxes and all (state dependant) will get you up to 8600 or so not counting registration.

Making the Husky at 7499 look really good..........

Worse, is that the couple of dealers I talked to also said they would be charging full freight and setup, and I'm sure some of the San Diego dealers here will be going one better with additional markup on the first bikes. Just because they can.

Worse, is that the couple of dealers I talked to also said they would be charging full freight and setup, and I'm sure some of the San Diego dealers here will be going one better with additional markup on the first bikes. Just because they can.

Absolutely. With them being DOT and with the hoards of KTM fans out there wanting the easy way to DOT, no deals on these. They will get top dollar and have no problem selling them I'm sure.

I am gonna see if I can just take mine in the crate, i.e. no dealer set up. But I am sure they will bawk at that. It is too easy to grease bearings and do the usual checks. Hell I'm sure my setup would be far superior to the dealers anyway.

Absolutely. With them being DOT and with the hoards of KTM fans out there wanting the easy way to DOT, no deals on these. They will get top dollar and have no problem selling them I'm sure.

I am gonna see if I can just take mine in the crate, i.e. no dealer set up. But I am sure they will bawk at that. It is too easy to grease bearings and do the usual checks. Hell I'm sure my setup would be far superior to the dealers anyway.

They won't let you.

1- they have a check list to go over that has to be filled out at time of prep.

2- highly inflated prep fees are a big part of the profit on a motorcycle. (sky high shipping fees too)

Unlike the automotive industry, there is no regulation concerning these fees.

Best price I've seen so far on a '07 525 is $9000 OTD. in Ca.

My dealer is giving me 8600 OTD, but I am doing my own titling and registration. That saved me almost 200 bucks.

Still a grand more than the Husky though........

My dealer is giving me 8600 OTD, but I am doing my own titling and registration. That saved me almost 200 bucks.

Still a grand more than the Husky though........

If there are no significant changes to the 07 EXCs, then almost all of the higher price just reflects the street legal premium that KTM knows it can extract for these bikes. And even at $9,000+, they will sell easily. But I am a bit surprised that KTM is pricing these so far above the Husky TEs. The price is high, but this is a very good trend for DS riders that need a bike with top notch off road capability.

R

Well they are not REALLY pricing them over what Husqvarna proved the market would bare. It was pretty clear that all of the CA riders were paying the $1000 premium, so why not ask everyone in America to chip in the same?

I have a deposit down on an '07 EXC450 DOT bike. It's not cheap.

The dealer is charging list, but gives 20% off all accessories that you buy with the bike, plus free install. I ordered a fan, GPR damper, HT racing oil cooler (bumps oil to 1.7cc), handguards, etc. He'll also do the jetting, reroute the drains, etc. The guy doing the setup races enduros, and is my size and weight (hopefully the suspension will be set right for me).

I had KLRs before this, so a DOT bike that I can take straight out to the trails will be fantastic. I had to fix a bunch of stuff on the KLRs every time I went woods riding.

Last I heard was the beginning of November.

The KTM will just simply amaze you. What I love is you buy the bike & it's ready to race. Add some simple goodies & you have the ultimate bike.

Just but the Trickdual Sport kit. It's simple & reliable design. The KTM kit is also nice. I Dualsport my 525 & just love the bike. :thumbsup: