Sign in to follow this  

avon vs pirelli?

Does anyone run either of these tires? Avon Distanzia's or Pirelli Scorpion's MT90? If so how do you like them? Looking for a stickeir tire for the drz400 S with out having to go the supermoto wheel conversion route, yet.

I just put on the Avon Gripsters http://www.partsmag.com/0310/avon-0310/avon-0310.html on my stock S wheels for a sumo track day at http://grangeracetrack.com/. I could scrape the peg feet up and knee out on one of the sweepers. :thumbsup:

They are amazingly good street performers for a dual sport tire. 16 # in the rear and 18# in the front worked well on the track and I am using that pressure in the street as well. At the track I stiffened up the compression to almost full hard and then cranked the rebound fully closed. In the street I left the compression and went 4 clicks out front and back on rebound.

I had the avon distanzia's on my S model....very happy with their performance and wear on the street...would get them again.. :thumbsup:

I run the Distanzia's and love them, wet or dry they just stick.

The rear lasted just on 9000 miles, and was replaced with another one of the same.

The front now has 10500 miles on it, and I ordered it's replacement last Friday.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

How well do the Distanzias work offroad? And by "offroad" I really mean fire/logging roads and such, I have my CRF for trails. I just picked up a DRZ-SM Friday and want to get the sport rubber off ASAP and get something I can hit the fire roads with some confidence and still tear it up on the street as well. I'm leaning towards Distanzias unless someone has a good reason not to or a better tire?

I dont want to sound dumb but what does the 16 and 18 number mean with the tires? Did you also run the standard OEM size tires as well. For some reason it looks as thought the distanzias would have a better performance than the the gripsters cause of the pattern. Is it the rubber compound?

I dont want to sound dumb but what does the 16 and 18 number mean with the tires? Did you also run the standard OEM size tires as well. For some reason it looks as thought the distanzias would have a better performance than the the gripsters cause of the pattern. Is it the rubber compound?

The 16 & 18 is the air pressure he's running.

I thought the # sign would make that clear but it's as mentioned the air pressure front and rear.

How well do the Distanzias work offroad? And by "offroad" I really mean fire/logging roads and such, I have my CRF for trails. I just picked up a DRZ-SM Friday and want to get the sport rubber off ASAP and get something I can hit the fire roads with some confidence and still tear it up on the street as well. I'm leaning towards Distanzias unless someone has a good reason not to or a better tire?

I had the Distanzia's when I couldn't ride off road because of injury. Once I could ride again I tried them in the same place I recked before. They weren't much better than Deathwings on the dirt, they were like glue on the road. I switched to D606 for more dirt worthiness.

Put a set of Distanzias on my SM last week. On my SM these tires are amazing on fire roads. They're not knobbies, but compared to the stock 208s, no more front end washouts. The first thing I noticed before I mounted the tires was that their design actually looked like they would work.

For my SM, I'll buy another set of of the Avons when these wear out.