Which Supermoto for the street?

Ok, I am throwing around the idea of a supermoto for the street. I have always ridden sportbikes on the street, but now I have all my fun with those raceing WERA on my R6. I am currently using my R1 for a streetbike but a buddy is trying to talk me into getting a supermoto with him for the street.

It will mostly be a streetride...maybe an occasional trackday here and there but it will be my primary streetbike. So far what I have seen are these..

KTM 950 SM

Aprilia 550

Husky 610

Husky 510

and I am open to any other suggestions.

Thanks!

That KTM 950 would not make a very good track bike, it is pretty big and bulky, It would be a great canyon bike, and work well on longer rides however.

Either one of those Huky's would be nice,

And of course that Aprillia would be killer as well.

My desire out of the choices you listed would be the Aprillia.

That KTM 950 would not make a very good track bike, it is pretty big and bulky, It would be a great canyon bike, and work well on longer rides however.

Either one of those Huky's would be nice,

And of course that Aprillia would be killer as well.

My desire out of the choices you listed would be the Aprillia.

Yeah, I guess I have to decide what I want...something for better canyon riding and some longer rides or something just good ol fun! lol.

whatever I get it will be my commuter bike too and I commute about 30 each way to work each day...would the Aprilia and husky's stand up to this?

Yeah, I guess I have to decide what I want...something for better canyon riding and some longer rides or something just good ol fun! lol.

whatever I get it will be my commuter bike too and I commute about 30 each way to work each day...would the Aprilia and husky's stand up to this?

I would say no.

I think that if this bike is going to be your primary means of transportation (commuter) you may in fact want to consider the KTM 950, any one of those other bikes are going to be wound pretty tight on the freeway, whereas the KTM 950 is going to be near idle at 55mph on the freeway.

That 950 is no slouch, and it actually feels pretty light when you sit on it, it just feels "bulky" compared to a CRF or similar race prepped machine.

I still have my WRF and for ripping around town or the canyons and I cannot see throwing money down for a replacemet, but I dont enjoy it at all when I have to get it up on the freeway for any stretch.

30 miles each way? or 15 miles each way?

That makes a big difference.....if it's 15 each way then that Aprillia would still be my choice for best all around.

If you want to go 80 Mph for an extended period on the freeway then that big KTM is the weapon, you may also want to look at the KTM 625 supermoto unit, that is also a really nice machine with a proven engine.

I would say no.

I think that if this bike is going to be your primary means of transportation (commuter) you may in fact want to consider the KTM 950, any one of those other bikes are going to be wound pretty tight on the freeway, whereas the KTM 950 is going to be near idle at 55mph on the freeway.

That 950 is no slouch, and it actually feels pretty light when you sit on it, it just feels "bulky" compared to a CRF or similar race prepped machine.

I still have my WRF and for ripping around town or the canyons and I cannot see throwing money down for a replacemet, but I dont enjoy it at all when I have to get it up on the freeway for any stretch.

30 miles each way? or 15 miles each way?

That makes a big difference.....if it's 15 each way then that Aprillia would still be my choice for best all around.

If you want to go 80 Mph for an extended period on the freeway then that big KTM is the weapon, you may also want to look at the KTM 625 supermoto unit, that is also a really nice machine with a proven engine.

It is actually about 21 miles each way, backroads. Just country roads though..about 60 mph most of the way until I get into the town I work in.

Price is an issue, I am not sure how much the KTM 950 is but the price range of the Aprilia and Husky is ok.

If you're set on the performance level of that sort of bike then I'd suggest the Husky 610. Yes it'll be a bit of a paint mixer on any longer straight line but it'll have far more of the motard feel in the twisties than the 950 would. The 950 is really an orange among a plate of apples in that list. Even the 610 is a bit heavier than the others but it's far more like them than the 950 ever could be.

And I think you could do nicely with the KTM 625 equivalent street legal ride as well.

I have a KTM 950 Sm and love it but there is nothing like having a smaller supermoto bike for the street. I did have a KTM 525 plated for the street and I miss it a lot it was the most fun you can have on any back road. Now you know I have spent a lot of time on the Aprilia's so if you can plate one go for it. Way to much fun... They are green sticker legal.... : ) the husky 610 I have ridden a lot also Big heavy, slow. The other Huskies 450-510 are a better and are street legal The DRZ Sorry guys but toooo slow and have to spend a lot to make it go. The KTM exc are street legal for 2007 and Ktm will sell a kit for Supermoto so know you have a bike that does all.

Darrick

www.westcoastsupermoto.com

If you're set on the performance level of that sort of bike then I'd suggest the Husky 610. Yes it'll be a bit of a paint mixer on any longer straight line but it'll have far more of the motard feel in the twisties than the 950 would. The 950 is really an orange among a plate of apples in that list. Even the 610 is a bit heavier than the others but it's far more like them than the 950 ever could be.

And I think you could do nicely with the KTM 625 equivalent street legal ride as well.

oh yeah, I forgot about the KTM 625...they have one at hthe local dealership too....

I have a KTM 950 Sm and love it but there is nothing like having a smaller supermoto bike for the street. I did have a KTM 525 plated for the street and I miss it a lot it was the most fun you can have on any back road. Now you know I have spent a lot of time on the Aprilia's so if you can plate one go for it. Way to much fun... They are green sticker legal.... : ) the husky 610 I have ridden a lot also Big heavy, slow. The other Huskies 450-510 are a better and are street legal The DRZ Sorry guys but toooo slow and have to spend a lot to make it go. The KTM exc are street legal for 2007 and Ktm will sell a kit for Supermoto so know you have a bike that does all.

Darrick

that is what I was looking for. I was wondering about the 610 because it does look heavy for the HP numbers they have for it. It doesn't have much more than my 02 WR426. ? do you know anything or have any thoughts on the KTM 625?? I really like the Aprilia 550 is it only street legal for europe?? It seems to have a ton of power, but I want something that is going to be good too if I just want to cruise to work on a regular basis also.

thanks!

The KTM 625 is OK but wait for the new LC4 it will be a lot better. Seen it, all new Motor....Yes, you will like the Aprilia.

Darrick

When is the new one coming out and will it be fuel injected?? that is something I really really like about the aprilia! and do you know if the aprilia is street legal in the states?

I am not in a huge hurry because I have some things that have to fall into place before I can buy so I can afford to what...

thanks!!!

I got rid of my Honda Super Hawk after I got my KTM 625SMC. Now, it's my only street bike. I ride it to work all the time, and take longer trips on it, too (this weekend was a ride for the MS Society). It handles great, and with a Comfort Seat and larger tank, long trips become very easy. I can switch back & forth from stock top the bigger tank/comfort seat in just a couple of minutes.

I got rid of my Honda Super Hawk after I got my KTM 625SMC. Now, it's my only street bike. I ride it to work all the time, and take longer trips on it, too (this weekend was a ride for the MS Society). It handles great, and with a Comfort Seat and larger tank, long trips become very easy. I can switch back & forth from stock top the bigger tank/comfort seat in just a couple of minutes.

that is great to hear! Now, is the 625 going to be available next year??? because i don't see it on the KTM website. ?

The 610 Husky may only put out as much power as your 426 but it'll do it for a long time without requireing a rebuild. So what you loose on one end is made up for on the other. The 610 is supposed to be a longer life and more reliable street 'tard so hence the lower output.

Check into the output of the 625 and LC4. I'm pretty sure that at least one of them is in the same boat power to life wise.

KTM seems to be the worst company when it comes to plans for next year's models. The dealers don't seem to know, their website is NEVER up-to-date, and even the Underground Magazine doesn't help.

I'm afraid we all just have to wait and see what they actually bring to the US this year. ?

Well, I will just have to wait and see what all it out there. The Cycle World motorcycle show comes to atlanta around March I think next year so I guess I will see how things are going then and see what is out there and try and make a decision then.

thanks fellas!