Sign in to follow this  

Dualsported KLX400R

I have access to a stock '03 KLX400R (offroad version - identical to DRZ400E...I think) for $2000. I know the dualsport kits run $400 or so. How hard is it to install the kit? Also, are there any concerns with roading the E model? Background: 13000 riding miles per year - 20% offroad. Onroad usually at 65 mph or less. Offroad is mainly hilly/rocky/washed out ATV trails. Not a lot of mud or sand. Am I limited as to luggage with the E model?

I presently ride a KTM LC4E - and its a bit heavy (but incredibly capable) at the stuff I do - but thinking lighter might be righter.

Any help is appreciated

Dean

I have my E bare bones minimum to run on the road legal for my state. :thumbsup: Depending on your states requirements full on BD kit may not be necessary. I have had it up to 75 mph on the road and it runs amazingly well for having offroad tires. :ride:

My buddy has one, and it's an 03 also. He absolutely loves it.

He has the DRC taillight/brakelight, a Trailtech Vapor speedo/tach, and a pair of cheap universal mirrors. He also picked up and installed some used switch pods, which he found at a used bike parts store.

He rides it to work everyday, and hits the trails with me every weekend.

Great bike!

009.jpg

july0602.jpg

DRC.jpg

vapor.jpg

controls02.jpg

Follow this link, for dozens more photos of the bike in action...

My Trail Riding Photo Gallery

I have an E in Maine that I dualsported. The Baja Designs kit is fairly easy to install and Maine registration is simple. You will need to get an inspection sticker after registering it and for that you'll need DOT tires, turn signals, brake light, horn, hi/low beam etc. basically the full Baja kit "bare bones" won't cut it unless you like to press your luck and for go an inpection sticker. I can't tell you about luggage though I don't travel far from home on my DRZ.

Bomber - where in Maine do you live and ride? I'm in Farmington and ride in the western mountains from Farmington to Rangeley. I'm trying to put together a dualsport circuit that extends clean to the Quebec border.

Dean

I'm in Bowdoin. Mid-coast area. Not alot of riding here I had to dualsport my bike because all the trails are broken up. I used to only cross roads and now I have to go miles down them. I would be very interested in doing some dualsport riding in the state even if it means driving a couple of hours to get to a run.

Bomber - drive the hour or so to Farmington - we have seemingly endless bad ATV trails here. Maybe thats why I haven't seen a single 4-wheeler on the trails. I just had a great ride on Friday - just not sure exactly sure where I was!! I've gotta get a GPS with TOPO USA. If you'd like to ride - let me know.

Dean Chancey

drdeanfarm@gwi.net

779-0939