Sign in to follow this  

Leaky valve cover...

Any tips on stopping a leaky valve cover??

Since i replaced the piston i have been getting a slight leak. i did replace the gasket...when i did the top-end...leaked the next day....

I went and bought another gasket(thinking maybe i got a bad one) replaced it last week...rode it yesterday........and it's still leaking...not sure what else to do...

it's leaking on the left side, right under one of the big round areas of the gasket...

thanks guys...

I had the same problem. When I had my valves checked, the bolt closest to the front was put back in without the rubber "washer" underneath it. All three bolts have them, but somehow, one got left out. It was seeping oil out from the same place you described. Installed a new "washer", and it's been fine since. Hope this helped....

Just threw in a new jug - more like a pizza pan - in my scoot this weekend.

The service manual recommends putting some silicone gasket sealer along the left side of the head where the two large half circles of the valve cover gasket fits.

That should do the trick.

50 hours - original piston looked great, wrist pin looked OK, no galling to speak of or fractures.

Valves still in spec! Crazy! :thumbsup:

Motor Oil - Castrol R4 :ride:

Fuel - VP C12 50/50 with pump 91 octane.

Motor Oil - Castrol R4 :thumbsup:

I sure do like that oil but man, I just can't see paying $9-$10/liter for it.

I sure do like that oil but man, I just can't see paying $9-$10/liter for it.

It's like my Pappy told me...

If yer gonna play,

Yer gonna pay!

:thumbsup:

It's like my Pappy told me...

If yer gonna play,

Yer gonna pay!

:thumbsup:

Yup... this is true. The $6.50/qt. for Amsoil is about as much as I'm willing to pay at this time though :ride:

I got a super cheap and quick fix for your problem. Take some motor oil on your finger and apply on the conntact surface on the gasket. If you want you can even use some light grease. It always works for me.

I got a super cheap and quick fix for your problem. Take some motor oil on your finger and apply on the conntact surface on the gasket. If you want you can even use some light grease. It always works for me.

Yes, grease works great and if you read the service manual, they damned near have you put grease on every gasket, including the oil filter cover o-rings, inside and out.

I try to be pretty religous about doing it too and so far so good.

Really??? Put grease on the rubber gasket?? That will really work??

Really??? Put grease on the rubber gasket?? That will really work??

Yup, but it doesn't take a whole lot, just a nice thin coat. I keep good high temp grease and some smallish artists paint brushes around and just "paint" the grease on to the various seals. Helps lubricate them and forms the nice tight extra seal against the oil. The high temp grease doesn't break down and the oil isn't under enough pressure to blow it out.