Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Jetting

I'm looking to do some high altitude riding in Colorado in mid-Sept. Will be riding 10,000 - 13,000 feet. Any recomendations for jetting a completely stock CRF450R?

First I would reccomend opening up your airbox and considering an aftermarket filter. I ride at 10,500-14,300 quite often, so I know just how much the thin air takes out of your bike. Even with a perfectly jetted bike, the airbox really needs to be opened up to have the extra snap towards the top of the mountain as you are getting tired and everybody's bike is quickly loosing power.

On a side note, where exactly are you riding? I know where 14ers are that can be climbed with bikes, but it is sort of a secret...and we never have seen other bikes that way. Although there are plenty of Jeeps and hikers, so we aren't alone up there.

On another side note, what is your current elevation? I ski patrol here in Colorado in the winter, and I am constantly treating AMS or acute mountain sickness. It would best for you to acclimate at an elevation about 5-7 thousand feet or so, preferably overnight, then move up to 10,000. When you reach your riding destination, DO NOT immediately take out the bike and head up the mountain. Just relax for as long as you feel neccesary (at least a couple hours) stay hydrated, and make sure you get something nutritious to eat. If you, or any of your riding buddies feel a headache, extreme shortness of breath, nausea, vomitting, or somewhat of a "drunk feeling" you need to stop your ascent immediately. Assess the situation, and decide the best way to get that person(s) down the mountain safely. At every stopping place, take notice of everybody's physical appearance and state of mind. Look for signs of weakness, and breathing heavily. Ask them questions, make sure they're head is clear, and if neccesary, you can have them try to walk a line heel to toe, just as a police officer would do to determine a driver's state of mind. High altitude safety is very important, and it happens to the best of us in Colorado, so be careful.

EDIT: Sorry I don't have any "jetting tips". I'm sure Eddie can help you out. I go into that shpeel with everybody coming from out of state to altitudes that get a little high even for me.....Have fun and be safe!

I'm looking to do some high altitude riding in Colorado in mid-Sept. Will be riding 10,000 - 13,000 feet. Any recomendations for jetting a completely stock CRF450R?

stock 42 pilot jet,drop the needle 1 clip,150 main jet.