Sign in to follow this  

powdercoated rims

no, it wont bend them..lol. you can do it, and it will look good.

but i wouldnt do it unless your gonna keep your bike parked in your garage and never ride it.

powder coat chips, its on the surface. not to mention, all the holes oyu would have to fill for the spokes.

if i were you, i would find a place local, and have them anodized. anodizing is much stronger, doesnt chip easily like powder will. it will withstand the abuse of riding much much better than powder coat will.

Anodizing fades with some chemicals, good powdercoat is so strong the metal will dent rather than the powdercoat chip. Paint chips, not powdercoat, well not good powdercoat anyway. My friend had a frame done and he was working on the frame doing something and I think it fell off his ramp onto a concrete floor I am sure, either way the frame hit the ground kinda hard and the powdercoat didn't chip but the frame had a dent in it. if you hit it really hard the metal would just dent than the powdercoat chip. The powdercoat they use on most production rims is cheap.

I'd only have black in powdercoat however...

yes anodizing can be removed. but unless he sprays every square inch of each rim down with ez-off heavy duty, and scrubs it with a brillo pad, the anodizing will last much longer.

i disagree..all anodizing is is died aluminum..when i used to do my rims id take aluminum rite off. now after powdercoat i dont get one stratch, its very reasonable too. i got my hubs red and rims black for $60.

No, it gives it a painted look, depends on the surface finish it's appiled to. Something smooth like a rim it will look like smooth paint, hubs tend to be more bumpy. For the spoke holes you put small corks in them.

^ it can, but its more expensive i believe. powdercoat is generally flat colors i think.

anodizing isnt "died" aluminum. its within the poors of the metal and treated to hold the color in those poors.

its very reliable in applications such as this where as powder usually chips and scratches. on a flatter surface PC may be very strong, but in places such as a rim, i belive anodizing to be much more reliable...

if not, why doesnt excel powder coat theres instead of anodizing?

you dont have to plug anything. it dont matter the texture before it all comes out the same. trust me i powdercoat a little and have had my rims and hubs done with no plugs at all. the powder is only .002-.006 thick