Sign in to follow this  

Black Bear Vs. CRF450X

While testing my CRF450X/R Hybrid on friday evening in the mountains of British Columbia, I surprised a young male black bear. :thumbsup: This section of trail is very narrow with heavy brush. Mr. Bear and I did not see each other until we were literally side by side. The bear decided (I think) that the only escape route for him was to try and leap in front of me and run down the trail, the problem was I was moving at a good speed (considering the tight trail conditions, probably 15 to 18 mph), so instead of getting in front of me, he jumped on me knocking me off my bike. He lept about another 8 or 10 feet in front of me, spun around to face me and started shaking his head side to side and let out a good intimidating growl :ride:

I was lucky my auto clutch kept the motor running, so I picked up the bike, revved the motor as loudly as I could (this was the only time ever that I actually wished for a louder exhaust system!) Mr. Bear spun away again, ran about 30 feet turned for one last look and ran into the woods!!!

I ended up with a minor injury to my left arm (where we made contact) but otherwise am fine. Obviously the bear had no intention of hurting me (otherwise someone else would be writing this, I would be bear food!) but it goes to illustrate a few good points yet again.

Despite all the mods to my bike, (1) a young male black bear can still out accelerate my 450x from 0 to 20 mph. (2)A rekluse auto clutch that prevents stalling really can be a life saver! (3) a 300 pound black bear still has better turning ability then a 450X, and finally no matter how good your set up, and how well you think you can defend your line, a bear can stuff you in the corner and walk away laughing!

no matter how good your set up, and how well you think you can defend your line, a bear can stuff you in the corner and walk away laughing!

That is the best part of the post right there!

Excellent story :thumbsup:

You think it was Mama bear or Papa bear?

I guess a bear has two - three feet of suspension travel so that doesn't help either.

We think it was an approx 3 year old male (we have lots of bears around here, often see them, but usually not so close up!), a few other riding buddies have seen this bear over the past week (pretty sure it is the same one).

They recently started logging just to the west of this area, so this bear was probably driven out of his area by the logging activity. He is not shy and pretty territorial, I hope he moves on so the wildlife guys do not end up putting him down.

That's some scary 5H1T right there. Always concerns me a little when you run into something that actually might eat you if you don't play your cards right. Good effort to handle situation like you did. In close encounters, I'll take a Drop Bear over a Black Bear any day of the week. I hope your bear moves on like you said so he doesn't run into someone with a different kind of weapon next time. :thumbsup:

CRF 450X $7500

Recluse clutch $400

Gear $600

getting your ass tackled by a black bear...Priceless

Where in BC are you? - I am on Vancouver Island and have had 3 black bear encounters this year. None as close as yours. We have alot of cougar in the area and I don't want to surprise one, but it would be coolto see one.

On a ride 3 weeks ago I was cruising on some singletrack. To my left was a 1500ft or more drop off. I see a cloud of dust out of nowhere. I slowed down and almost stopped. To my right there is an open view of the forrest. To my left a drop off. Forward a cliff face. I'm like this is either a bear or a savagely insane hippy. I'm outta here. My friend an I continue on for about 20 minutes and then double back. About 5-10 minutes down the trail from where I saw the dust cloud I seen another one. This time I see the bear. 50 ft or less from me and high tailing away. We are both stuck in a canyon of sorts. No escape from either of us. I rev my 2stroke and follow it at about 50ft for about 150ft at least. It finally dives off the trail and disappears. Bears are SCARY and they haul ass. I feel ya.

JKL.. I am in the Fraser Valley, about an hour east of Vancouver. I agree that a cougar can be just as dangerous, they are very reclusive though, you almost never get to see a Cougar, even from a long distance. I did get to see a mom and baby Lynx this spring though, that was cool!!!

Global... Getting stuck in a confined space with a bear is a very bad thing, lucky you managed to find your way out from that canyon.

About 8 or 9 years ago we got fairly close to a grizzly in northern BC, they make a black bear look small! They do not spook easily either, rev all you want, if he is mad, he will let you know just how mad he really is before he leaves!

What an incredible story !

In my area (french alps) we met some wolves but bears, never !

Thumbs up to MasterCard jokes !!!

While testing my CRF450X/R Hybrid on friday evening in the mountains of British Columbia, I surprised a young male black bear. :thumbsup: This section of trail is very narrow with heavy brush. Mr. Bear and I did not see each other until we were literally side by side. The bear decided (I think) that the only escape route for him was to try and leap in front of me and run down the trail, the problem was I was moving at a good speed (considering the tight trail conditions, probably 15 to 18 mph), so instead of getting in front of me, he jumped on me knocking me off my bike. He lept about another 8 or 10 feet in front of me, spun around to face me and started shaking his head side to side and let out a good intimidating growl :ride:

I was lucky my auto clutch kept the motor running, so I picked up the bike, revved the motor as loudly as I could (this was the only time ever that I actually wished for a louder exhaust system!) Mr. Bear spun away again, ran about 30 feet turned for one last look and ran into the woods!!!

I ended up with a minor injury to my left arm (where we made contact) but otherwise am fine. Obviously the bear had no intention of hurting me (otherwise someone else would be writing this, I would be bear food!) but it goes to illustrate a few good points yet again.

Despite all the mods to my bike, (1) a young male black bear can still out accelerate my 450x from 0 to 20 mph. (2)A rekluse auto clutch that prevents stalling really can be a life saver! (3) a 300 pound black bear still has better turning ability then a 450X, and finally no matter how good your set up, and how well you think you can defend your line, a bear can stuff you in the corner and walk away laughing!

Repost!!!! Dirt rider did this test when the x first came out. Plus black bears are wimps. My husky chases them out of camp all the time

This story is Awesome! Wish it would have happened to me (as long as the ending was the same )

Two years ago my 74 XL 250 broke down about midnight above Salt Lake and my dad was coming to pick me up in the truck and a cougar ran right in front of him just down the canyon from where I was sitting! I was armed with the metal rod from the toilet paper holder in the outhouse though!

Crikey, what a story!! It's not really something you think about when riding- that animals can still be dangerous even though you're humming along at breakneck speed on your dirtbike.

The only encounters I get with animals that are potentially dangerous are with kangaroos and wallabies. The kangas are ok they just bound out of the way, but wallabies are unpredicable (dumb) and can jump into you, knocking you off your bike without any warning whatsoever.

my god , that is one hell of an ordeal, i am so glad you came away in one piece.

i have not ever had to deal with a bear ------they are just so strong ---they can kill us without even trying.

you will never forget that scrap with death ! :thumbsup:

Good job. Kool head. But sounds like maybe you should be packin some heat when you ride. Just in case it doesn't want to start after the crash. :thumbsup:

Curious what part of BC you were in... I lived in N Van for 20 years and biked most of BC... over the years saw a few black Bears but never had your situation arise... sounds like fun. Cheers, Love the the interior.

05 CRF 450x

Really a gun,if that bear wanted him for lunch he would have never had time to draw IMHO.

In the desert of southern new mexico, I was cruising down a sand wash came around a bend there a nice mule deer jogging out of my way. I go around the next bend there a mountain lion jogs by looking over his shoulder,

with a pissed off look on his face, I just messed up his plans for breakfast

crf 450 X & R