Sign in to follow this  

lap times

hey i wanna improve my lap times how do i do this when i ride trails the trails arent tight chanleges here and there. what do i need to do? :thumbsup:

those are good ideas but any exercizes things i can do such as practice?

Such as practice.....

you answered your own question there.

THere's not really exercises you can do while riding but ride. PRactice makes perfect. But off the bike you can exercise and get your self in better physical condition and that greatly helps. But other than that it's really all about experience.

These guys are not very helpful...

There are most definatly drills that you can do in order to make yourself a faster rider. I practice flat corner drills a lot. Best thing to do is find an open space at the track or somewhere else acceptable. You then will set up an oval course as Nascar has. Do this going left and right. Then do slolam(SP?). I try to stick around 15 cones, tires rocks or other objects in a straight line. vary the distance between the items. Do this drill going each way. A third drill is to set up a triangle track and ride that going left then right. The fourth drill that I do is a circle track that is 20 feet in diameter. Every day that I go to the track, I spend atleast 45 minues working on these drills.

I know that your question was trail specific, but I decided to include this first part cuz I do not see many people doing drills that I believe have helped me a ton.

The single best thing to do on the trail is to cary a stop watch. Every time that you gear up and are beginning the ride, begin the timer. Ride non-stop as fast as you can until you get to the half way point of the ride. Stop the clock. Remember the time. Head back to the truck with the time going again and try to beat it. If you ride loops then just let the clock go until you have finished the loop and are back at the truck. Take a short break and refill on gas and h20. Then do the same ride and try to beat the time. I find this to be more helpful than just going as fat as I can because this way I have time to prove whether or not I was fast.

I'm with 602 on this one. There is plenty that can be done on and off the bike to improve your stamina, thusly improving your lap times.

One more suggestion I'll make that really helped me a lot...as often as you possibly can, go riding with a group of guys that are faster than you. You'll be amazed at the huge improvement over a relatively short period of time. It'll be frustrating at first, but that will help to motivate you.

After I had this light bulb moment and I acted on it, it was really great to see these guys when they'd turn around for a quick peek to see how far back I was, and they're eyes turn softball-size from their amazement that I was right on their ass!

:thumbsup: