Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of a two stroke?

I'm seriously thinking of getting a two stroke as my next bike. Right now I have a Husky TE250, which I like, but it is a little under powered for me. I weigh 205 lbs. I'm thinking either a 450 four stroke or a 250\300 two stroke. I want to get faster, and I like the idea of less weight and better handling. I'm a slow C vet rider. What are the pros and cons of a two stroke? I'll mainly be riding Hare Scrambles and mountain trail riding.

cons are mixing gas, less fuel mileage, in CA green sticker issues on all 03 and newer 2st. Thats it. 4st are slow and heavy for their displacement, but have elec starts and reg gas. Try starting a hot 4st that has been turned upside down without a elec start. Leg burns or worse from being stuck under a 4st. 2st are easier and cheaper to rebuild the top end. Less tiring for a day or several days ride. 2st are usually quieter cuz everyone thinks a 4st wont go unless it has the latest, loud, race pipe.

I wont have a 4st til you cant get a 2st or its not legal.

If we lived closer, I would let you ride my 200EXC. You would immediately want one... just like I did after riding one. I am 100% happy I bought it instead of a 450F. Go find someone local who will let you ride a KTM smoker. :thumbsup:

Really love my 300. I could write a book about everything that is right with it and can't really think of anything that I would change.

I would say the green sticker is the only real negative. Mixing gas takes 30 seconds, so unless your in need of filling up during a ride at a gas station it is on problem at all. It is my opinion that it takes more skill to ride a 2 stroke as well.