Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X/R Hybrid

I have been working on making my 450X a better race bike for tight woods (guys that ride desert and more open trails will not likely want this set up).

First off I removed all the usual stuff, side stand, odometer, head light, tail light, then replaced the fuel tank and shrouds with those from an R model, result: slimmer, lighter feel. Very noticeable improvement in handling. Lost about 15 km of range, but the bike will easily make the pit stops in our race series. The seat base lines up perfectly with the R tank, the foam overhangs the sides of the tank just above the shrouds by 5 mm or so. All that is required heer is to pop the front of the seat cover, carve a small slice of foam off each side, restretch and restaple the cover, looks factory!

The biggest surprise for me was when I took out the battery.... almost as big a change in feel as the slimmer fuel tank! losing 4 or 5 pounds that is placed so high on the chassis is quite noticeable. My bike is jetted very crisply, has JD kit, so kick starting is easy.

Slapped on a front MX number plate. Now people think the bike is a 450R with 18 inch wheel, till they look closer and see a few other details like the airbox door etc.

My buddy has a 2006 450R he is modding to make into an offroad racer, so we are meeting in the middle so to speak. So far our observations are: The 450X tranny is much better for tight woods racing, tha larger rads are also worthwhile. The R model still feels a bit lighter (but not much after the mods) earlier in a race when you are fresh and full of energy, the R model does feel great, but later in the race the more compliant X suspension and frame design is easier on you plus the tranny ratios are much more suited to tight woods. The X is the weapon of choice for me!

This is shaping up to be one of the most versatile bikes I have owned to date. I keep my bike in the race set up most of the time, and it only takes me about 25 minutes to prep for a weekend of play riding. I just reinstall the stock parts: big tank, put battery back in so estart will work, reinstall the lights, reinstall kick stand etc. It amazes me how different the bikes feels and performs with these few simple changes, it really is like having 2 completely different bikes, now to buy supermotard wheels and create 3 seperate bikes in one.

I have an R cam on order for my 05X. I'll let you know how it works after I get it installed.

Very interesting 'cause i'm wondering if a 05 or 06 r tanks could fit on my 05 x ? Are x shroulds usable or may i also buy r models ? Could you send some accurate pics ?

Tks in advance

JP

the 05/06 R tank fits the X no problem, the X shrouds do not fit the R tank properly, I used UFO aftermarket R shrouds (cause they were cheap!) The lower hole will not line up as it is too short (ends up approx one inch above the mount in the rad) all I did was run a zip tie through the rad mount hole threaded it through the lower mount hole in the shroud, pulled it in snug, and you are done. The other three shroud mounting holes line up perfectly. I also used an exacto knife to trim away most of the ribbing on the shroud, the vertical rib that sits between the side of the rad and the shroud. This allows the shrouds to sit closer to the rad, and make the bike feel even thinner.

By the time I figure out how to post a photo, you will have either completed or lost interest in this project!!!

Thanks Stroker. I already post a request in 450 r forum, but i wanted to be sure before to buy one. :thumbsup: