Sign in to follow this  

Grinnin' ear to ear

Last summer I tried an IRC trials tire on my XR250R, it was fun and made hillclimbs much easier for me (intermediate, 2 years riding). I enjoyed it but switched back to a knobby for a Baja ride.

Fast forward a year, I've got a TE450 with it's second rear tire totally spent.

I put the IRC on. This morning I rode all the usual hills that I typically go only down this time of year, e.g., loose, ball bearings on hardpack decomposed granite. as climbing them for me is usually frustrating and tiring, both mentally and physically.

Anyway, the trials tire performs even better on the Husky than on the low powered XR250. The tire on the 250 was quite disconcerting on the road...the rear end would squirm all over and took a bit of getting used to...no such feeling on the 450, perhaps it's the Scott's dampener, or the much better suspension but I noticed none of the roll/squirm I felt on the 250.

The front end lofts even easier now...:thumbsup:

I realize the tire is not for everything or everyone, but for ear to ear grins it works perfectly for me! Try one if you have not.

I rode a TE250 today with a trials tire and Im sold, Ive always been doubtful that they really worked off road but that thing stuck like glue even half worn and missing a coulpe center knobs. :thumbsup:

2nd rear tire spent already? You must ride a LOT! :thumbsup:

I put Dunlop 803's on my TE250 and like them a lot. I know what you mean about a gravel on hard pack. esp when the slope is so steep you can't even stand on the hill let alone walk up it (Carnegie). Careful though - too much traction can be a bad thing sometimes. Have not spent any time on the road though.

Another TTr put a IRC trials tire on the rear of his TE250, he wore that out and put a new Dunlop 803 on the back and likes it even better. Dunlops are MUCH cheaper it seems. In case anyone is interested WER carries the Mitas ET-01 which is DOT approved.

Seems many are using trials tires these days... at least for trail riding...

What tire pressure you running?

Looks like i am posting in another thread and I should be here,I just did a 150k ride on my 05 TE 250 with a Mitas,it worked very well,did notice the squirm in bitumen,came out on some smooth 35kph bends and could not keep up with others because of the soft sidewalls,10psi,every where else was excellent,smooths out the ride,soft sidewalls,

hill climbs were much easier,coped crap from the pros,everyone said it would not work,

but at the end of the day got a lot of your riding better,I did have one incident on a near vertical descent were the rear tried to pass the front,maybe I had knocked it into neutral,probably rider error,anyone have rear brake problems using these on descents.

2nd rear tire spent already? You must ride a LOT! :thumbsup:

I ride 1-3 times a week, since April 1st I've put 60 hours, 1200 miles on the 450. Just one 'dual-sport' organized ride, the rest just trail riding locally. The 450 just seems to wipe the knobs pretty quick on the nasty sharp edged rocks, and the few miles of payement I ride to get to dirt.

Thanks, I'll try a Dunlop 803 when the IRC is done. By the way, I run a standard knobby up front (still on stocker, but have MT83 ready). I run 7-9psi in the IRC, and 10-11 up front.

anyone have rear brake problems using these on descents.

YES - brakes on, tires stuck like glue (front and back trials tires), and the tires stopped immediately.

But the bike and the rider kept going...

Edit - I was going slow and just did it to test how sticky the tires were. There was NO way any tire was going to stick to that stuff so I was not ready for it, of course the tires did stick...

Thats what happened to me,all of a sudden the bike picked up speed and started swooping,I modulated the brakes but it got way to fast and i started looking for a soft landing,the bike layed down on the right with my leg under it and I rolled over it and twisted my knee,its the sudden speed that I dont get,it feat like I had knocked it into neutral,I had a stronger than standard spring on the rear to stop it locking and it had worked well up to this point,this was on a killer hill,very steep,no one could stop near me,they all had to keep going,I still like the tyre but will check this out in future rides.