Sign in to follow this  

TS250 year identification

I just got this bike and was trying to fuigure out which year it was, the sticker is pretty much gone, and I cant find a VIN...

On the sticker on the stem neck there is the "MFG IN:" tag and I can only make out a 74 on the end of it, and the stamping in the neck isnt really a vin so I cant tell...Have a look:

IMG_0363%20(Small).JPG

I found this site, but I still cant tell: http://www.suzukicycles.org/TS-TC-series/TS250.shtml

The guy I got it from had no idea what it was, I got it for FREE!!!! I am going to try and restore it and fix it up to ride! Heres what it looks like now:

IMG_0334%20(Small).JPG

And I know its really not an offroad bike more than a dual sport, but its my understanding you cant get 2 strokes on the street anymore, so now its an offroad bike with lights :thumbsup:...It sure is vintage.

Thats what I pegged it on, but I couldnt be sure...Yea every time I see it I like it more and more, parts are HARD to come by...I got it to fire I just need to go over the oil injection stuff before I run it...

Block off the oil injection system and run the premix in the fuel tank, that way, you know you're getting premix into the cylinder.

Yeah, or if you don't want to block it off, run 50 to 1 in the mix and if it's running rich on oil at that ratio, it's most likely getting it's oil from the injector too. For parts, go to ebaymotors, click on parts, then motorcycle, then enter "ts250" and a few pages of used and NOS (new old stock) will show up. Good luck.Looks like with a headlight and seat you're in business.

It's been a bunch of years but if I'm recalling this right the TS/TM models have a lubrication problem with the RH main bearing when switching to pre-mix only.

There is a sheetmetal "oil-slinger" on the end of the crank that prevents enough lube getting to the bearing when the oil injection is removed.

The workaround I saw was to drill a hole in the transfer port in the RH case, down into the area between the 'slinger and the main bearing. The new "thru-flow" path provided enough lubrication for the main on pre-mix.

I didn't feel that adventuresome and left the oil injection on mine.

Hoot has got it right with the oil slinger. Don't remove the oil pump and tank unless you strip the motor and remove the oil slinger or drill the case like Hoot said. Suzuki's will sieze the main bearing but I seem to remember it was the left side? Long time ago

Cheers

Brent

I swear the gas and oil in this thing is from the early 1980's I am having trouble getting it out, parts of the lines are like bubble gum filled.... I am going to make a nice write up with pics and everything, will make a thread, thanks for the info guys.

That's a 74 alright, first bike I ever own, and still do. The oil pump still works fine. Got a complete headlight, bucket and rim, bulb shot though, let's make a deal. Duce: