Sign in to follow this  

Tire Changing..

SUCKS!

I guess I'm just missing something but I've read all the threads on the process and got part of the way there. Got the old tire off, new tube in the new tire, part of the way on and ran into trouble on the double beadlock setup. So I figure I'll take one of the beadlocks out and it'll work. Well, had to take the tube out to get the beadlock out and now I can't get the valve back in the rim. And to top it off now I can't get the new tire back off the rim to start over again.:thumbsup:

Fooled with this thing for over 3 hours and am wore out and pissed so I guess I'll put everything up and maybe mess with it later on this week again when I feel a little better. May just take it to the shop and pay them to put the damn thing on and try it again on the front.

Ah well, time for a beer and blow it off for a while.

there is a video someone put on here that made tire changing a breeze, and it was my first time. i had the same problem with the valve stem lining up, so i pulled out the tube, sprayed it down with wd40 and put it back in and it slide around inside the tire just fine. :thumbsup:

Well, I got it back on. Man what a fight but it's amazing what dinner and a beer will do for these problems. :thumbsup:

I talcum powdered the tube and the inside of the tire and finally wrestled the valve into place. I'll try the WD-40 next time if it gives me trouble. Hopefully the more of them I do the better I'll get at it. I've read of pro enduro guys changing a tire at a gas available in just a very few minutes. All I can say for them is :ride:

Anyway, problem solved.

I've got a jug of RU-Glide now that you mention it. I'll use it while I'm taking it all back apart again since it's leaking. Guess I must have pinched the tube somewhere during the wrestling match.

I have very little to no luck at all most of the time so this doesn't surprise me much though I did watch every move I made trying to avoid pinching it. Ah well, par for course. &%$#@! it, I'll deal with the POS some other day.

Watch these. I've changed a bunch of tires and found things that make it even easier.

TWMX How-To on Changing Tires

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1215721,00.html

I can't believe how much easier that vid made my life! A few weeks ago I watched the vid and tackled my tire change and it was a breeze! If your sweating changing the tire your doing it wrong! I know I was.

I want his "spoon tire irons" I was wrestling my damn tire for 3 hours today. I gave up and will pay 10 to get it mounted. I didn't even get my tire off. Soon as I got one tire irons over the rim I couldn't get another inside the bead.

IF anyone is looking for spoon tire iron do a search on ebay for sportingforless. they will hook you up. the have the 11in. red handled irons for 9.50 instead of 13 or 14 like everyone else. cheap and fast shipping. i bought 5 it was cheaper with shipping than buying 5 anywhere else without shipping. hope it helps someone.

I want his "spoon tire irons" I was wrestling my damn tire for 3 hours today. I gave up and will pay 10 to get it mounted. I didn't even get my tire off. Soon as I got one tire irons over the rim I couldn't get another inside the bead.

put the sprocket in the grass.

kneel next to the tire.

push the bead into the center of the rim with a knee

insert three tire levers on the far side of the rim before you pry on them...put them in loose.

now pry the far left tire iron down with your right hand hold it down with left hand.

pry center iron hold with left hand, hold left lever with left elbow.

pry right iron and the bead will pop over the rim and you are home free.

of course flip this around if you are a lefty

Watch these. I've changed a bunch of tires and found things that make it even easier.

TWMX How-To on Changing Tires

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1215721,00.html

Thanks, i'll watch them when I get off work. Maybe (hope) it'll clue me in on something I'm doing wrong. I would have been in there if it hadn't been for the tube pinch somewhere. Using heavy duty tubes so that kind of surprised me.

I like what it says on the tube box, "avoid the use of mounting tools" like I'm going to stretch that thing on there with my thumbs like a mountain bike tire.

Thanks everyone, I'll wrestle it some more tonite. Eventually I'll win. Maybe.

That transworld video from above did wonders for my first tire change. Having 3 tire irons makes a huge difference and the baby powder and a little air in the tube when you are putting it back in really helps. Just watch that a few times and you will get it. I will suggest figuring out a way to make some kind of stand like he has to sit the tire on at working level and that will make it so much easier. That video is a godsend! Good luck!

Thanks, i'll watch them when I get off work. Maybe (hope) it'll clue me in on something I'm doing wrong. I would have been in there if it hadn't been for the tube pinch somewhere. Using heavy duty tubes so that kind of surprised me.
Besides having some air in the tube, I think the most important thing in avoiding pinches is when you slide the spoon down in there to "hook" it under the bead, pull it back out very slightly until you feel it stop (when the very tip of the spoon hooks over the tire bead). If you don't do this, you risk getting some of the tube in between the spoon and the tire bead.

the biggest PIA for me with HD tubes is threading the valve thru the hole.

so i :1) put a tire iron ON THE BACK SIDE (bottom) OF TIRE and lock it behind the rotor or sprocket right at the valve hole in the rim. 2) use 2 small 2x4 pine blocks on the front side of tire 6" left and right of the valve hole.

This makes a huge cavern to get my hands and the valve in without busting my knuckles. The tire is far away from the hole on both sides.

Then all the other tricks of completing the process mentioned earlier come into play.

Start to finish for me about 20 mins.(incliuding cleaning the rim and tube)

I tell ya, the first time I ever attempted this it took me several hours a few beers, far to many cuss words and a bloody knuckle.

Now I can do a rear tire with just two 10 inch irons in my front yard in under 15 minutes including taking the wheel off the bike and putting it back on.

Go slow, focus on the technique and see what works for you. After a few smoother changes you will learn the technique and it will be a snap. I only run the Michelin ultra heavy duty tubes (4mm thick) and actually think it makes it easier with the thicker tubes.

Well folks, I watched the videos, got 3 Motion Pro Tire Spoons and now changing tires no longer sucks.

I got the tube patched and everything back together, and doing fine. Part of my difficulties I think is, the rear rim on a WR250 is 1.85" and according to Maxxis' web site this is really to narrow for the 100/100 that is stock on the bike and I put a 110/100 on it. But it's on there and I have learned some new tricks in the process so I'm a very happy camper. Now that my 50 hour work week is drawing to a close, tonight I'll stick it back on the bike and go after the front.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this, couldn't 'a done it without ya. :thumbsup: