Sign in to follow this  

Cops ever think your dualsport is illegal?

I was just wondering if cops will pull you over just because they dont think your dualsportbike is legal. Im just asking because im curious, and im getting a klx400 soon.

I havent been stopped yet. Cops do slow down and check me out though.

Yup....and they're right. My turn signals, tail light, and stop light are not DOT legal, nor is my headlight. The turn signals also don't meet CA requirements for separation. I've never been cited, though. The two times I've been pulled over it's been because some of the AV's finest (and I do really mean that, the LA County Sheriffs who patrol the Antelope Valley have a tremendously difficult job to do, and they do it very well!) just wanted to check out the set up because they thought it looked trick.

i've never had a problem on my dr650....i do have two stock mirrors though...

if you asking cause you do not have a license, you are way more likely to get pulled over!!! get your permitt and be legal and there is nothing they can do except waist a little of your time.

pulled over once on my drz-400 =for nothing and let go

pulled over once on my old tl-1000r street bike =there was (7) of us and (1) guy was doing a wheely so he stopped us all at a pt's parking lot, he checked our vins warned my friend and let us all go. we could of scattered but in las vegas the radio beats the bike, but we wouldn't of ran anyways.

pulled over multiple times in pismo dunes, and dumont ridding down the beach and had my vin numbers checked = let go

conclusion = you could be pulled over on any type of bike at any time at any place depends on the cop!!!!!!

I think the main thing they look for is the plate. In Oregon, turn signals are not even required unless you ride at night.

I was pulling out of a trail onto the road, and got pulled over FAST. I made it one telephone pole before they had me pulled over. Got all my info and was in his car for less than 30 seconds.

I know he had his lights on before he realized i had a plate.

Not a police officer but a ranger. I have a "green" sticker as well as a plate on my ZR650L. The ranger thought one or both was false ID on the bike and gave me the third degree. She told me that with a plate that I did not need the "green" sticker. However, she is technically wrong. The plate is good for everything "except" for trail marked "off road vehicles only". It rarely happens but a ranger can give a citation to someone operating a street licensed vehicle on one of these trails if it does not have an off-road green sticker. This law was shown to me by both a BLM official as well as a director from the Forestry Service. The only other time I have been pulled over was by a traffic cop that wanted to look at the bike in the back of my truck, it turns out that I ride with his brother.

if you asking cause you do not have a license, you are way more likely to get pulled over!!! get your permitt and be legal and there is nothing they can do except waist a little of your time.

Ive had my license for the last year. I also have a cruiser that I learned to ride on for the past year. I was planning on getting my friends klx but he gave me one price and his dad gave me another so they raised the price on it and I just got some amazing deals on a couple of different bikes so I dont think im going to be getting a dualsport.