Sign in to follow this  

top end job

ok guys, here's the deal, i have a 2004 crf250 that i got back in february. i dont know the history very well, had hot cam, cp piston sometime i think last year. i chcked valve clearances recently, lft intake was at zero. went ahead and shimmed, but have not checked lately. i want to do a top end job, my question is should i just do everything, piston, rings, valves etc. have heard of guys replacing heads with later model ones [2006 i think]. or should i have the seats cut if needed. WHAT EXACTLY SHOULD I REPLACE?maybe i should just chck tolerances on everything. i don't know. what do you think, i want this bike to last. by the way, this thing is a blast to ride, THANKS

AvRider

search around here, some one has put an 07 head on their 04, i think that is what i would do if i was in your postion.

Buy a new 06 or 07 head (complete), new piston, rings, top end bearing, etc. Once your valves go to zero, you know its starting to get some wear, and it will be only a matter of time before you will need valves. You might as well get a new head while you are at it. Better to replace everything befor she blows up on you!! Better safe than sorry........

Scoot over..you and me are in the same boat.

2004 CRF250R..about 60 hrs on it..Right side intake went to zero (other 3 valves were good to go) ..shimmed from a 1.88 to a 1.60 (just to get a bit more riding out of it.)

Ordered a 07 head with valves and springs from Ron...about $600 bucks (not ported) for everything. From what I've seen on this site, his valves are supposed to be the cats pajamas. Also got a CP piston (no sense in taking shit part twice).

Hope to have parts next week. You certainly can have the seat recut, buy new valve train and get another 10-15 hours out of it. But in the long run your not saving any money. People will debate for days about Kibblewhite, Pro Circuit and Your Momma valves. At the end of the day, stock keeps ya riding, and I have a hard time explaining to my wife why I HAVE to have the Xceldyne valves as opposed to stock...Keep it simple, keep it affordable. The one thing I liked about talking to Ron is----he'll actually talk to you. He actually spend more time talking me out of things then trying to sell me stuff .

In the end, it's just a motorcycle. Happy building.