Sign in to follow this  

Minimum Conversion of S for Street

I know this has probably been covered in threads before, but what is the minimum conversion to get rid of the original 'deathwings', lower the bike some and change out to street tires? I would like to be able Easily change out to dirt for the 3 or 4 times a year when I trail ride, realizing that 'easily' means two sets of tires/wheels. Any suggestions from riders with similar setups or expertise is greatly appreciated.

The "deathwings" are good street tires, just not so great in the dirt. I looked into having another rear wheel/hub/tire for off-road and another for mostly on-road. It will cost about $400-$500 and I haven't done it yet.

As for lowering the bike, you should be able to search for that real easy. You will either cut down the seat foam, get a lowering link, or both.

Here's a link with options for lowering your seat height.

For a second wheel set, you want a complete set of built wheels if you will be swapping frequently. If you're not doing it often, it might make more sense to just change over the tires as necessary? I bought a second wheel set from the TT store, really nice wheels, much better than stock. It takes me about 10 minutes to go from real dirt wheels to DOT dual sport tires, with different gearing for the road also. I bought mine new from TT, and it is expensive to go that route, close to $1,200 when all is done. Some guys have lurked on E-Bay and found a good quality used set for much less money. Good luck, it could take a while to find them.

Another option is to get SuperMoto wheels for the road use, then mount up good dirt tires to your stock wheels. You mentioned wanting a better road tire, and some big fat SM slicks will really rip up the pavement. You can keep that conversion simple, just stay with your stock rotor size on the new front wheel. If you keep within 3 teeth on the rear sprocket, you should be able to swap without any chain issues.

It's best to call the TT store if you are going to buy complete wheels. There's a lot to consider, and they have done it many times so their advise is well taken. See MY GARAGE for pictures of the Gold wheels from TT.

I run the dunlop 606's all the time. They wear real well and work good on both street and dirt. Just my opinion. I don't see any reason to get different rims unless you're going motard. than it's worth the expense.