Sign in to follow this  

Top compression ring R or RN?

Since I cracked my CP piston's wrist pin in half, I'm slapping a 450 piston into my 510 which should work out to around 13:1. At any-rate, the stock 450 compression rings are marked R and RN. If you know, which compression ring goes on top: the R ring or the RN ring?

The factory service manual says nothing.

Thanks,

Eric Landstrom

You got me, I have only been down that far once and did not take the rings off. However just thinking with you;

Are they the same thickness?

Are they both flat rectangular or is one tapered, L shaped or ?

Are the both shinny chrome like or is one grey iron like?

Generally rings have markings on the top side, bottom side finish is dead smooth

You got me, I have only been down that far once and did not take the rings off. However just thinking with you;

Are they the same thickness?

Are they both flat rectangular or is one tapered, L shaped or ?

Are the both shinny chrome like or is one grey iron like?

Generally rings have markings on the top side, bottom side finish is dead smooth

If I could read Italian, I probably could figure out what N and NR means. At any-rate, one ring is iron, the other is silver in color. They are both rectangular without any taper or knockouts. The writing goes up but I'm not certain which ring goes on top.

Tuesday the shops will open and I'll be able to find somebody who knows between GP, Up-Tite, and Hall's.

BTW, am I the first person who isn't a shop or race team to crack open the bottom end and replace parts?

The shinny one goes on top with letter up some are different thickness J.R

Put rings in paper bag shake'm up reach in pull one out gives you a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Chrome ring on top black or iron ring on bottom. Later George