Sign in to follow this  

Certificate of Origin? Help!

I'm starting to get confused and frustrated. :thumbsup: I've inquired about two offroad bikes (Xr650r) neither one has ever had an off road title obtained by the owners though they do have the CO and original bill of sale. One is from another state. I've called two local notaries and asked if a CO title can be signed over to a new owner in order to get a title and both said no. They both said the original owner must have regular title in their name first, not the CO. This being the case, how can I go about this? Is the only way for this to work is the original owner must have a regular offroad title, or can I just take their CO and apply for my own offroad title. I need an offroad title for the bike in my name in order for me to try to change to street-legal in PA, by eventually passing inspections and getting a modified/reconstruct title. This is starting to turn into a PIA :ride: , and I'm about ready to say screw it and stick with my street legal xr650L's.

I bought 2 bikes, both out of state. One from Oregon, another from Arizona which was puchased new in Kansas. Both had never been titled, in both cases, I got a bill of sale, had the original sales slip. The KTM from Arizona had 2 owners, there was a spot on the back of the C/O and it was signed off by both prior owners and notorized. Other KTM was from Oregon, bill of sale with original sales slip and I was done. I have titles for both of them.

When they signed over CO. How and when was sales tax paid? From original bill of sale or from price you paid from owner?

Take the CO to a Penndot Service Center. Not sure what the notaries are telling you, but as far as I know, if you have a signed CO, it can be sent in to get a title.

I've run into this issue with bikes from OH before. Gets pretty messed up.

I seriously looked at a bike owned by a PA resident who bought it in OH. Given the CO and since he was from PA he did not need to pay OH tax, Only PA tax when titled. He never titled, therefore he never paid tax.

My concern was that the state would flag the sale and require tax on the original sale then on the secondary sale to me. I stayed away from it.

In your case, its a out of state purchase and PA wouldn't have interest in the original sales tax.

If you're thinking of dual sporting teh bike be sure the PA title reconstruction booklet. Its a real PIA !! Especially with bikes whose CO's and titles are marked 'off road only' or ' competition only ' In 07 PA is making this harder.

The easiest true off bike to DS is a KTM. I specifically went after a KTM for this reason, none are marked off road or competition only. Dealers in PA will issue plates at the time of sale or on used ones at the time of the title transfer. Just add a DS kit and inspect. There is even a KTM DS kit available.

Here's mine

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/odonnks/P1010016-2.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/odonnks/P1010007.jpg

The easiest true off bike to DS is a KTM. I specifically went after a KTM for this reason, none are marked off road or competition only.

Not true , my 06 KTM 300XC CO reads off-road only

I specifically went after a KTM for this reason, none are marked off road or competition only.

Not true , my 06 KTM 300XC CO reads off-road only

2006 KTM started marking them because of the Cali 50 state green sticker bikes they sell now. They had to differentiaite between tehm.