Sign in to follow this  

Air Filter Oil Question

Hey guys, the owner's manual specifies Honda Air Filter oil, the service manual suggests 80 or 90 weight gear oil, I have some SAE 20-50 motor oil laying around, can I use this on my air filter? What do you use to oil up your air filter?

This is for a 2000 XR100R.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

I would use only oil intended for air filters. It's formulated to not be so thick, and to get tacky as it dries so it will attract dirt and dust. I use Maxum Filter Oil with good results on my WR426, as do most of the folks I ride with.

If you want to go the cheap way, you can use the walmart bar and chain oil( i think its supertech brand). A racing buddy of mine told me about it 5 years ago and ive been using it ever since.

thanks guys! I got some oil. Any good tips on application? the service manual suggests putting the filter in a plastic bag with the oil to keep the mess to a minimum, is that with the foam on the filter already or do you oil up the foam and then put it on the filter? also, grease the seal - I thought that was a carnival game, what am I doing greasing the seal?

once again, thanks in advance for helping a tune-up noooobie! :thumbsup:

Just oil up the foam by itself then put it on the assembly. If using motor oil (I wouldn't) make sure not to have it too loaded with oil. Motor oil is more drippy(for lack of a better word) and will pool and get sucked through the carb. After oiling it in a plastic bag make sure to wring it out real good so it feels damp and is sticky. Greasing the seal is to assure no dust or dirt will get past the seal and the airbox because it is not perfectly flat.