Sign in to follow this  

Can you ride a YZ 250 off road effectively?

I'm seriously thinking of getting a two stroke to race hare scrambles and trail ride. Can you ride a YZ 250 off road, or is the power band too harsh. What mods would you need to make low end torque usable and the suspension woods friendly? I like the idea of low weight, but I'm not sure a two stroke will work. I'm a slow C rider, looking to get faster. Oh I weigh 205 lbs, and have owned a Honda xr400, and am currently riding a Husqvarna TE250. Any suggestions or comparisons to the bikes I have owned would be helpful. I'm either going to buy a 250 two stroke or go with a 450 four stroke. Thanks.

i believe one of the best gncc racers rides a yz250. i cant remember his name. but if a top gncc racer rides one then i think it will do just fine.

i believe one of the best gncc racers rides a yz250.

You may be thinking of Barry Hawk. I saw him a couple times yesterday when he lapped me twice at a local hare scramble race. He sure rides that YZ250 effectively.

The YZ250 is an awesome hare scramble machine.

Its hard to stay on the trail at first, it likes to wheelie into trees. But after a while and you start getting used to it and know when you need to throttle it and how much youll be man handlin that 250 like an 85. :thumbsup:

I rode my friend's 2006 YZ250 last weekend. It had a 9oz Steahly flywheel weight on it, and an FMF spark arrestor. Other than that, stock. I thought the motor was perfect. More than enough power on tap to haul ass, but it would torque down low pretty nice too. More than enough power to work the low end in the tight stuff.

Everything else, handling, suspension, brakes, etc., were awesome.

Try one, you can't go wrong.

Okay, but what do I need to do to the suspension, and what about stalling, low end torque, and kick starting? What is the difference in handling between a four stroke and a two stroke? Finally, I am looking at the KTM, Huskqvarna, Honda, and Yamaha 250 two strokes, any info on the differences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Okay, but what do I need to do to the suspension, and what about stalling, low end torque, and kick starting? What is the difference in handling between a four stroke and a two stroke? Finally, I am looking at the KTM, Huskqvarna, Honda, and Yamaha 250 two strokes, any info on the differences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Get a flywheel weight, that will solve your stalling and low end torque problem. As for kickstarting, i have not yet seen a estarter setup on a Mx smoker. So your gonna have to kickstart it, isnt a big deal its not too hard to start one. On handling the 2 stroke will feel better because its lighter. Go with the Yz250, I believe others will agree. Im not too familiar with Husky's so i couldnt say how it would do against a yz. The husky smoker is more trail friendly i would think but parts are a bitch and not many people know much about em. :thumbsup:

I have a 2006 yz250. I have raced it in harescrambles, it flies. You won't complain if you get one.

I have an '05 YZ250 set up for woods racing and it is incredible. I have 40+ Hare Scrambles and 10+ MX races on it and I LOVE it.

Here are some of the mods I did:

-Steahly 11 oz. Flywheel weight

-Cycra Pro bend Handguards

-Clarke 3.1 Gal tank

-Scotts Steering Stabilizer

-X-Ring Chain

-Suspension revalved and sprung for my weight

-Maxxis SI's front and rear.

-FMF Gnarly Pipe

-FMF shorty Silencer

-Utah Sport Cycle Skid Plate(great fit and protection) www.utahsportcycle.com

-Devol Radiator Guards

-Pro Moto Billet Kickstand www.promotobillet.com

I think the must do's are handguards and a flywheel weight. But then again there are plenty of guys racing/riding them in the woods bone stock, but I think if you are spending most of your time in the woods the handguards and flywheel weight are well worth it.

After a year of racing and riding my YZ 2 smoker, I have no plans of any changes to what I ride anytime soon.

Good Luck.

I have some pics of my bike on my helmet cam photo site

www.putfile.com/walnish

Both Barry Hawk and Charles Mullins are on Am-Pro YZ250's and they are always 2nd and 3rd behind Juha Saliminen, who is so good, he would probably win on a KTM 85 :applause:

www.amproracing.com :applause::applause::thumbsup::ride:

I rode a ktm sx250 yesterday. That thing hauls ass. It was my first time on a 2 stroke. I ride a crf250. And its nice being able to pull on in all gears. It really has the get up and go for hairscrables. On the trails its got a pretty big backwheel drift, but i would still ride it on trails and have alot of fun. The only thing i dont think i would like about it on trails is slow hill climbs :thumbsup:

Comparing your previous bikes to the YZ they will feel heavy and slow. Definately FWW and hand guards, I would also suggest either a 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket or a smaller rear sprocket to lessen the hit and give a bit more traction.