Sign in to follow this  

2007 Yz250 Needle

For All Of Us That Have The 2006 Yz250 (stock Needle N3ej), New For 2007 Is That Yamaha Spec'd A New Needle Size (n3ew)to Deliver Better Low End And Mid Response.most Magazine Articles State The Yz Is Generally Jetted On The Lean Side, And I Believe The N3ew Needle For 07' Is A Richer Spec.

Assuming Your Bike Is Mostly Stock And You Ride In The General Conditions That The Factory Tests Their Bikes(elevation/temp), Should We Change Our Needles Out? I'm Sure The Yamaha Guru's Had To Have Dyno'd Their Changes To Claim Its A Worthwhile Change.

I Don't Believe Yamaha Changed Anything Else On The Motor.

Change It, Or Leave It? Comments/opinions?

I tried it in mine. Obviously, your results may very, as they say. The needle is nothing magic. Any given setting is 1/2 step more rich that the stock needle. At my altitude of 4500 ft I did not need it. I would have liked to experiment a bit more, but I tossed the jd needle in and have not had any reason to mess with the needle again.

I THINK the reason it will come standard is that it helps eliminate the pinging in the midrange. It is band-aid for those of us who have a hard time getting decent fuel .

I tried it in mine. Obviously, your results may very, as they say. The needle is nothing magic. Any given setting is 1/2 step more rich that the stock needle. At my altitude of 4500 ft I did not need it. I would have liked to experiment a bit more, but I tossed the jd needle in and have not had any reason to mess with the needle again.

I THINK the reason it will come standard is that it helps eliminate the pinging in the midrange. It is band-aid for those of us who have a hard time getting decent fuel .

I think your right about the needle being a band-ade... at sea level with good fuel the stock needle is right on for most temps. On real humid days (like right after a rain it can be a hair rich and on really cold days it can be a hair lean but otherwise (90% of the time), Right on!

I also believe that most people dont rejet their bikes. If you were looking for a needle you could throw in and have work, the optional needle (07 needle) may be better. These forlks are not going to buy race gas.

When the needle is rich, the bike still runs pretty well. It just feels a little flat through the midrange.

Yes... Its been my experiance that the YZ250 likes to be a hair on the leaner side of the scale (with good fuel of course). Currently the stock jetting is right on middle ground (aside from air screw adjustments) for Florida's summer weather. But I know a bit leaner would be crisper because as the sun starts going down (bringing on leaner conditions) the bike crispens up some.

I will prob leave it the way it is though because i dont want it running lean as the sun starts falling and into the night (local track has lights).

up all night, that needle might be good for you in florida. Let us know if you try it.

If I try it, I would want to go leaner a half step if anything. But then in the winter I will have to bring it back to stock or at least a clip richer.

I think the new needle would do that. I believe Yamaha is using the new needle in position 2. Dropping the clip to 3 should do the trick.

So dropping the new needle (which is the extra needle that came with the 06 yz250) to the 3rd groove down (from the top) will be a half step leaner than the stock needle in the stock position?

If so I think I will give that a try this weekend.

I am not quite sure I follow. As I understand the new needle it is 1/2 step more rich on the same position. Position 2 stock would be 1/2 step leaner than position 2 on the new needle.

So dropping the new needle (which is the extra needle that came with the 06 yz250) to the 3rd groove down (from the top) will be a half step leaner than the stock needle in the stock position?

If so I think I will give that a try this weekend.

Changing from the second clip position from the top to the third position from the top will en-richen the mixture. As you move the clip down the needle you make the mixture richer. When you take the clip from position number two and move it to the top position you will then be a "full step" leaner. If you use the top position with the "new" needle it will be one "half step leaner" then stock because the needle is tapered to be richer. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah... I been jetting for years (rode throughout the 90's when every bike came jetted like crap), I'm not new to it by all means. But what Im trying to figure out is if the extra needle thats provided with the 06 is richer ( I think thats what Rcannan said by a half clip) and if its really only a half clip steep difference then what goove will put it a half clip leaner than the stock needle in the stock position? Kinda a confusing question:crazy: lol

Here is what I ran last year on my 2006 YZ250, at 45-5000 ft elev. and temps around 45-75 degrees, I ran a 175 main, 4SR-14916-CJ-00 .NEEDLE (N3CJ) in #2 clip, 48 pilot, and the real critical part... float level reset to 7.5mm, this is real important, if you watch the bike go through whoops and jumps with the stock float height ot 5.5mm, you will alway notice gas running out the over flow lines. set the float level to 7.5mm, and watch your fuel range increase and it make the bike run crisper every were.

I also cut 70mm off the end of my stock silencer.

One other things I ran for better bottom end and corner torque was the SLP

power pack, kinda like power now... here is a little post on it

http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26077&highlight=slp

See ya Coop