Sign in to follow this  

XR400R will not start

Just bought an '01 XR400R last weekend. Came with Baja Designs d/s kit.

I've kicked and kicked and kicked and can't get it to start.

Changed the gas. Drained the bowl. Changed the plug. Nada.

Tried with choke on. Choke half. Choke off.

Throttle on. Throttle off.

Any idea what to try next? I've ordered a couple of goats and a dozen chickens so a sacrifice is not out of the question.

Check your valve adjustment and decompression system. Just went through the same thing on my XR250.

A few years back, when I was getting back into riding, I bought an 01 XR400 with the Baja designs Dual sport kit already on it. I tried for hours to start that pig but to no avail. I brought it back to the dealership, at which time a mechanic flicked the switch to the "on" position on the Baja kit. Bike started right up. I felt like a complete idiot, but I thought the switch was only for turning on the headlight. There was a kill button on the switch also, so I never thought there would be a redundant switch on the unit. All those years of motocross bikes, and I never had anything wth a switch like that. Make sure the same thing isn't happening with your machine.

I thought about the switch a couple of days ago and turned it to the "p" position but nothing happens to change the cranking. Is there a "correct" position for the switch?

I can't remember the particulars of the switch as I don't have it any longer. All the way back is "off" as I recall, and anything forward of that position is on with parking lights, low beam or high beam.

I don't know if this helps, but i bought an 04 that had the baha designs kit on it. it is wired up just like KevinJK's bike. The headlight switch has to be on for the bike to run.

From the bottom, the switch should go like this: off,Park light, low beam, high beam.

As long as one of the lights are on, the bike will run. The salesman at the dealership had a hell of a time trying to start it because he didn't know that the lights had to be on. Good luck

Pull the plug wire off and stick a spare plug in the wire and ground it against the motor so when you kick the bike you can see if the plug will spark, no spark no start. Change the switch position till the plug gets spark then reconnect wire and kick like hell with the idle screw turned up a bit and the choke where ever it was working best before.

Turn idle in until you start to feel a little resistance on the screw.

Pull choke lever all the way up, two clicks.

Keep hand off throttle.

Kick through four times through TDC. You don't have to kick hard. Just push it through.

Flip switch up one click from bottom.

With hand still off throttle (don't even touch the damn thing) kick to start.

It will go the first kick to start...or second. Let it idle.

Once it starts to sputter flip choke down one click to half.

Go get helmet and gloves on.

Click choke all the way down and ride.

You will have to keep turning down the idle as it gets warmed up.

To barbecue chicken hang by feet from close line....

Alright. Tried everything. Nothing. I did, however, get it to start by bump starting it.

Ran like a scalded dog, but would die when I pulled the clutch in.

All of the responses thus far revolve around getting a spark. Check for spark as yamahondaha suggests first. Is this your first big four stroke? There are tricks to start them and it is not easy until you know the tricks.

Did it run well when you bought it last week? If so, are the elavations the same as where you are and where you bought it?

It's getting spark. Checked that a million times.

Elevations are the same.

Bike will run if roll started, but dies when coming to a stop.

turn up the idle. I would also try turning out the fuel screw one full turn.

Seems like no one has pointed out that some of the XR4's need to use the startup procedure previously posted in another thread by jva_xr400_97. :ride: It's mandatory on my 01 XR4 and starts on the 1st kick every time (with the choke on). :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by jva_xr400_97

What startup procedure are you using? I always start mine when it is cold by doing the following.

1. Hold in the decompression lever while holding the throttle wide open and kick it over five times.

2. Release the decompression lever.

3. Find dead top center and with no throttle, give it a good smooth kick.

This works just about every time. If not the first time, I repeat the steps and it fires right up.

Hope this helps.

Where is the fuel/air screw on the carb? I know where the idle screw is but can not seem to locate this other screw? I know this is an idot question but I had to ask....... :thumbsup: