Sign in to follow this  

Engine temp range? Anyone else ping on 91 (s model)

Since I dropped the needle one clip the bike runs a bit warmer. I tore through some mud at a low speed in 2nd at high rpm (spinning the hell out of the old deathwing) and the fan kicked on as I was rolling slowly afterwards, and clutching my way through some crap. (probably normal.)

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows at what temperature the fan activates? I notice my exhaust seems warmer when cruising as well. Bike seems to run the best it ever has on the main jet, I hit 100 mph for the first time w/o a hill. The coolant level in the catch can is higher than before.

I had my plug out a while back to find flecks of white on the electrode. My bike does rattle every now and then if I get on it at low rpm high load, I just drive around the condition. Changing the jetting had no effect on this. 91 is the highest available octane here, my buddy runs 87 in his bike but I bet his cyl pressures are lower (he has 3 or 4 times the mileage I do), and I outweigh him by 20 or 30 lbs at least.

well, I figured it was piston slap at one time as well until I got some really crappy gas in the bike once, then it would rattle like crazy. I also have white specs on the plug. I've heard piston slap too, you have to lug it down a lot further than where this happens.

From the top of my head, fan is activated when temp is like 110 celsius/ 230 fahrenheit, warning light comes 114C/237F. When riding at good speed, temp is near 60C/140F.

The thermostat lifts at 167 F full open at 194 F

The fan kicks in at 205 F shuts off again at 196 F

:thumbsup:

The thermostat lifts at 167 F full open at 194 F

The fan kicks in at 205 F shuts off again at 196 F

:thumbsup:

My temp gauge seems to be little off, its makes no sense that temp is like 140F when riding 60 mph.

My temp gauge seems to be little off, its makes no sense that temp is like 140F when riding 60 mph.

Depends on where and how you pull the temperature. This is water temp. If you have a pickup external to the head you are getting head temp not water plus the airflow will drop the surface temp. About the only way to get a truly accurate temp would be to be just ahead of the thermostat in the water.

The numbers I quoted are the manual numbers, that's all I can tell you. On my DRZ the fans runs sometimes that's all I know. :thumbsup:

My Z1000 will run around 160F when the temp is in the 70's (mid 20's C). Last time I had it out the water temp was 104 F (40 C) BEFORE :ride: I started the engine! It stayed around 200F - 218 F that whole ride.

Depends on where and how you pull the temperature.

I'm getting my temp readings from a sensor located to radiator bleeder, so in the water on top of left radiator.

That water has been through 1 radiator already so will be substantially cooler than at the head. That would be in keeping with the temp drop you noted.

That's also interesting that explains why the fan almost never runs when moving. That's the same place as the fan temp take off. I always wondered about why the fan never seemed to run when moving. The thermostat is on the head so there will be a considerable difference in the 2 temps unless at a dead stop for awhile.

My fan almost never comes on, only when I am in really tight hard core stuff. I always put in 93 so never get any ping, piston slap is always there.

Just installed my FCR this weekend, seems OK needs to be jetted a little more and tweeked....