Sign in to follow this  

pit bike quieter

I have been searching through the forums for a d.i.y way of quieting the bike but I can't seem to find any direct info. The search key keep on going down

Help please

Good for you for trying to make your scooter quieter. You didn't say what it was but here's some generic ideas:

--Try to adapt a stock pipe off of a similar Japanese bike. Sometimes they'll bolt right up, sometimes it might take a bit of work, from oblonging the pipe hanger in the rear to having it completely cut and rewelded. I put a pipe off of a Honda XR-70 on my BBR/XR-50 which required that it be cut and rewelded by a fabricator but it's pretty much as quiet as stock, even with the 88 kit and the "Thrust Chamber" I got from Powroll.

--You might try just adapting a muffler from a similar or slightly larger Jap bike. We're looking into trying a CRF-150 muffler on my buddy's Pitster Pro.

--If you have an aftermarket pipe make sure it's always properly packed. Also, the better pipe makers are finally starting to make quieter pipes and baffles for them although they're still way louder than a typical Jap playbike. Making a turn-down to shoot the noise towards the ground seems to help, too.

Sadly stock pipes seem to be the first thing people replace so there's lots of them sitting around in garages that you can get for peanuts. Most of the aftermarket pipes only give a measureable improvement over the stock pipes at high RPM and I question whether the added noise is worth the slight improvement (if any) in performance. I've said it before--the neatest pit bike in the world isn't any good if it's too loud to ride anywhere. You can get away with riding places you otherwise couldn't if you're quiet!!!